Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thursday 30.1: Snatch day

Thursday. Snatch day.

This is my deaload week if you wanna call it that. I've taken it easier on purpose for the last 3 days. It was a tough couple of weeks early this year. And there hasn't been a day without heavy heartbeat nor metcon at all. So on Tuesday I only took heavy singles and climbed up to some record breaking numbers. Yesterday we were doing lots of different skills training with my pal and today I worked with snatches only. Next week I'm on a holiday so I'll have the possibility to train like a pro without time constraints. Waiting eagerly to it!



Snatches. For quality
  • 30 power snatches, 50kg

This was not a modification of Isabel. I didn't pay attention to the clock this time. Classic crossfit test is a benchmark workout called Isabel, 30 snatches for time. Professionals seem to pound it through in 1-2 minutes, as the weight is 60kg rx'd. That's sick pace if you ask me. My goal was to focus on quality and technique. I did the reps as power snatches.

Tried to bring the bar as high on my hips before bouncing it up with explosive hip movement. I did them in doubles and singles. In the end I took 4 reps in a row to finish the workout. This was a good workout to work on quality.



Technique. Snatch
  • Snatch balance
  • Snatch press
  • Squat snatch
  • Overhead squat
  • Overhed squat with a pause

I took uncountable amount of snatch balance. Some snatch presses, overhead squats without a pause and with a 10 second pause. I kept light weight only on the movements, most of them with the bar only, or 30 kg on the snatch moves. On the overhead squats my max load was 50kg so it was purely focusing on technique. For some reason I love pauses with a pause. I feel comfy in the bottom position.

I realized something big today on the snatch balance. My feet are pointed differently when I'm doing overhead squats and squat snatches / snatch balance. On ohs my feet are pointed more forward whereas my toes are pointing out more in the squat snatch. On ohs I can hit ass to grass, way beyond parallel. However, as my toes go wider I find it difficult to go below 90 degrees. And that is a problem.




Let's think about it through cleans. When I do squat cleans I do not slow down on the bar at all on my way down. Once my butt hits the ground I start pushing myself up. I can go down relaxed and with good range of motion and mobility, then push aggressively up after reaching the turning point. The case is not the same with my snatch. And my feet look similar, no matter whether it's power clean or squat clean. I'd like to witness the same technical development with my snatch. I'm gonna focus on my feet stance on the landing phase so that I can hit rock bottom on my way down.



No comments:

Post a Comment