Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday 20.1: Ring mu's, squats, hang cleans

Monday. Skills, ring muscle-ups. Back squats. Hang clean emom, 3 reps @ 70-75kg, for 10min.

This Monday was metcon-free training session. Started with ring skills. As I wrote in the turn of the year, I'll add more rings in my training 'cause those are definitely a weakness of mine. Continued with back squats. My legs were the stiffest ever so it was not a success. Luckily I was able to come up good with every minute on the minute training on hang squat cleans. That felt good and I left the gym with good spirit.



Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups (3 reps)
I'll try to squeeze in ring skills about twice a week. That should be the normal case. Maybe not always ring muscle-ups but some sort of ring play anyway. Last year I didn't focus on the rings much so naturally it was difficult to get better at them. Now I've been able to do tens of ring muscle-ups, singles but still reps. Today I did 3 reps, pretty much "every minute on the minute" style. I tried the fourth rep in the same time frame but failed to get up so I moved to squatting.

Strength.
  • Back squats
  • 5x120, 2x125, 5x100, 5x100, 5x100kg

It's just an excuse - I know - but we were on a tight schedule today so I did a stupid move and tried to hurry through a bunch of workouts I had in mind. So my warm-up for lower body was poor and it felt like I was drinking tar all the way. Didn't feel like going heavy today so I stayed rather low on the weights. I tried to nail 5's but on the set of 125kg I lost my balance and fell forward, thus had to drop the bar. Decided to lower the weights to 100kg and complete 3 sets with short recovery periods.



Workout.
  • Every minute on the minute
  • 3 hang squat clean between 70-75kg
  • 2x70, 2x72.5, 4x75, 2x70kg

This was good stuff. Every minute, complete 3 hang squat cleans. I took kind of a ladder, going up from 70kg to 75, then last 2 minutes dropped down to 70kg. Originally I had planned to do 8 minutes but wanted to go for extra 2 min in the end. That 70kg was something I was able to manhandle. The heaviest bar was tougher and I definitely had to work on my explosiveness when dropping under the bar. That was actually a great workout to practice speed under bar.

The weights were great for me this time. It wasn't too easy, and not the heaviest I could do. Doing a triple rep on 75kg was tough on grip strength too so it was a grip strengthener as well. Great one!







No comments:

Post a Comment