Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday 27.1: Clean and jerk benchmark, bodyweight metcon

Monday. Benchmark, max effort unbroken clean & jerk (60kg). Result 15 reps. Metcon, 1.000m row, then 21-15-9 ring dips, pistol squats and t2b's.

Today was 2-parted training session. Some barbell action in the beginning. I had a goal of going for max reps of unbroken clean & jerks with the classic 60kg weight. Then the latter part of the workout was a metcon with rowing and bodyweight movements. That turned out to be nasty in the end. Seemed easier on paper than it was in real life.



Benchmark.
  • Max effort unbroken clean & jerk, 60kg
  • Result 15 reps
  • Finished it off with 3x5 reps for a total of 30 reps

Before I tried this one I completed some random sets of clean & jerk with 40, 60, 70 and 80kg. I wanted to have it a bit heavier than 60kg before jumping on to the test. That's because the 60kg bar feels way lighter after you've done something heavier before that.

The test was a cruel one and it wasn't difficult to understand it so it took me some time to get my nerves together and start moving. The first 8 reps or so were smooth, then it started to get on my muscles. Got to 10 reps before I had to start slowing down and occasionally stop the bar on my shoulders or hold on straight hands. Breathing was heavy, no doubt, and basically it was most challenging on the forearms. I had no problems jerking the bar up there but the clean part became tough because my forearms started to go numb.

It was a relaxing moment to finally bring the bar down on the floor and release the tension on the hands. I had to rub my forearms and shake the pain away for a while. Never have I done this many reps unbroken. Some day I did 3x10 clean & jerks with same weight. I remember the first set being okay but the last 2 sets felt awful.

After getting the feel back on my body, I finished the c&j's with 3 sets of 5 reps to reach a total of 30 reps.




Metcon. Time 13-14min.

  • 1.000m row, then
  • 21-15-9
  • Ring dips
  • Pistol squats, alternating legs
  • Toes-to-bar

This was horrible. First row for 1km to get the heart beat up. Then start moving your ass on 3 movements that I can not call pleasant. Ring dips are always demanding once you go beyond parallel on the shoulder / elbow line. Pistol squats, do I have to say more. Doing squats with only one leg is tough. And t2b's are okay when completing something like 10 in a row but after those pistols they felt tougher than normally.

Got the ring dips unbroken on the first round, then on the second I had to cut them in 3 sets and something like 5+2+2 on the last one. Pistol squats felt heavy from the beginning but doable. Got the toes-to-bar's unbroken each round but they surely got to my core. Felt like my abs would cramp on the round of 15's.

It took me time to finish this one. It was around 13-14 minutes in total. For some reason I forgot to write it down but I have a feeling it was about 13.50. I usually have a pretty god hunch on the times so I'm quite sure it was around there =)

I felt so fatigued after the workout. It sucked all my energy and even an hour later at the supermarket I was feeling week and my heart started to pump faster all of a sudden. It was a mind blowing experience to finish this workout. Those clean & jerks in the beginning must have had their share in the feeling on my body.






No comments:

Post a Comment