Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday 26.1: Front squats, box, pull-ups

Sunday. Strength, front squats with a pause, 5x5 across (90kg). Metcon, 21-15-9-15-21, box and pull-ups. Cooling down, 2k row.

My plan was to take it easier on the squats, concentrating more on technique and form this time and the metcon was also more like "for quality". Wanted to go unbroken, not for time. In the end I rowed without time pressure for 2 kilometers. It was all a good training without putting in all effort. It was relaxing  to just rattle through the workouts for a while and not have the taste of blood in mouth.



Strength.
  • Front squats with a pause 5x5 across (90kg)

I took couple of sets before entering to my plan of 5x5 with same weight. I remember doing 3 reps @ 60, 80 and 100kg. Then I adjusted it to 90kg and took 5's for a total of 5 sets with a pause. Not heavy but not light either. I've usually done this type of sets with somewhere around 100kg+. This weight was good for today. More focus on the technique and not aiming for the heaviest kilos. I believe I managed pretty well.



Form stayed quite the same, elbows up, back straight and knees out. That's the goal every time I front squat. Take a look and be the judge.

Front squats

Metcon.
  • 21-15-9-15-21
  • Box jumps, 61cm
  • Pull-ups

Two very simplified movements, box jumps and pull-ups. Easy way to come up with a great workout. How easy can it be, just mix 'em and start moving. My goal was to go unbroken on the pull-ups and I didn't even put the clock running, just wanted to do both movements unbroken. I didn't give too much slack on the transition but maybe a bit longer than normally anyway.




There was heavier breathing involved definitely and it started to drill on the muscles too in the long run. Box jumps were easier than I thought, it was surprising. I thought the upward climb back from 9 to 21 would have been tougher on the jumps but there were no problems.



Main goal was to nail pull-ups without having to drop down from the bar. I knew there wouldn't be any problems on the first 45 reps and probably the latter 15 reps would also be done okay. But the last set was something I suspected to become an issue at around 10-15 reps. I got them through quite nicely though and was able to finish without even stopping to hang for a second or two. Was able to keep moving all the time. It felt tough but was manageable.

Box and pull-ups


Cooling down.
  • 2k row
In the end I rowed for 2 kilometers with easy pace, somewhere around 1.55 for the entire time. Just wanted to flush the fluids on my body for recovery sake. I recall it took something like 7.45 to finish so it definitely wasn't a metcon or heavy effort. Just cooling down in the end. Good training day!

Pauliina's new sneakers from Nike


2 comments: