Saturday, January 18, 2014

Saturday 18.1: Ring skills, bench, 20min amrap

Saturday. Skills, ring swings. Strength, bench press 5x3 across (90kg). Metcon, 20min amrap of: 5 hspu, 30du, 5 thrusters (50kg), 15 box. Result, 420 reps.

We hit the gym today in the early afternoon with Pauliina to do some work. Started with some skills that would develop my muscle-up in the long run. Then some bench press with heavier weights of my max. The metcon was the main workout of the day. I had my "ENGINE" short on for a reason. Today's focus was on increasing metabolic condition an my engine, once again.




Skills.
  • Ring swings.
My ring muscle-ups are done with just a small swing currently as you've seen on videos. The video analysis of two guys' muscle-ups on last Thursday's post was mind-blowing to me. It got me thinking whether I should start practicing that huge swing. Even though Toni hasn't got a mu yet on his scoreboard, his swing is huge. Definitely helps him on the way to multiple reps in the future.

So I grabbed the rings - not false grip - and tried to keep my body in as hollow body position and as tensed as possible during the movement backwards and forwards. It felt okay, I'm not that sure how it should look and feel like but I'll take today's moves for now. Felt good. I was not trying to get muscle-ups, just worked on the swing itself.



Strength.
  • Bench press 5x3 across @ 90kg
This was second bench session in 10 days, and third during month, what's going on?!? Don't know but I simply felt like benching as I was thinking about today's workouts yesterday. I stayed with the plan and decided to go 5 sets of triples, across. That's all sets with the same load, today my weight was 90kg. I haven't benched ever before starting crossfit and I still recall this weight was way too far of my PR some time ago.




I'm happy I was able to nail 5 sets with 90kg and there might have been some strength left after those sets so it went well. I still wanted Pauliina to spot the last 2 sets as the last rep started to become heavy. I could have gone slightly heavier in the first sets but it was 5 sets in total and I wanted to do them all with same weight today so it was 90kg all the way.




Metcon. Result 7rds + 30 du = 420 reps
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 30 double unders
  • 5 thrusters, 50kg
  • 15 box jumps, 61cm

Good combo! Steady pace all the way. Think about this. My last 5 rounds were all within 9 seconds of each other. My goal in metcons is to hold my speed at a solid level for as long as possible. It's natural that the beginning is always a bit faster but then I simply try to hold on to that pace for as long as possible. Another goal I have is to go unbroken for as long as possible. It has a mental effect on metcons. When you're going unbroken you feel stronger and more confident to finish the metcon with style.


My time ran out just as I had done double unders in 8th round. Handstand push-ups were not an issue today, actually they were the easiest part of this workout. I did them kipping style. I've come to think I should also be doing strict versions from time to time, same with pull-ups. Should do more strict versions.


I did 6 rounds of double unders unbroken. On the 4th round I did 16 reps, then stumbled and finished the round. On the last round I had similar moment, lack of concentration. All in all I feel like those double unders went well. Once again I was concentrating in keeping my torso as straight as possible. I'm not there yet but getting better. I've increased the number of reps since November in order to reach better form.


Thrusters, hmm. Luckily I put only 5 reps per round which is something you can nail anytime with 50kg. My hip flexors were extremely stiff today so front squatting with the bar didn't feel perfect. The weight was moderate so I had no problems with thrusters. Awesome movement though!

Recap


Last movement of the round was box jumps. It resulted in over 100 jumps so the fatigue really drilled into my legs. Each time I finished those 15 reps my legs were burning. I was happy the next movement was hspu's to give some recovery for my legs. I took a zip of water after every set of boxes as they really sucked my juice. I got them unbroken every round, the pace just wasn't the quickest possible.

I was happy with my performance with all movements. And especially with my metabolic condition. That was the greatest achievement of the workout. This training day was good as a whole too. Bench went well and metcon was great.



Photos: Pauliina





No comments:

Post a Comment