Thursday, May 14, 2015

Thursday 14.5: Clean, Squat, Metcon

Thursday. Emom, clean singles (up to 110kg). Emom, back squat singles (up to 140kg). Metcon, 4rds of: 7 squat clean (60kg), 14 box, 7 c2b, 200m row. Time, 13.30.

Got a chance to do a workout in the evening before Finland's ice hockey game. It was gonna be short and intense. I still wanted to have barbell work included. Squats were a must but cleans were a good bonus. Metcon was created on the spot, and worked perfectly.


Cleans.

  • Every minute on the minute x 7 min
  • 1 clean (80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110kg)

Yes, I did heavy cleans yesterday. And it felt so good that I wanted to see how it would feel one day after. No problem, cleans were good today as well. It was only singles, one rep per minute. This was short part, just couple of minutes / reps and max was 110kg. I tried something new with my cleans today. I don't usually lift my legs from the floor at all. This time in some of the reps my feet got up which made the "go under the bar" part faster.



In the last rep you probably notice here that I dropped as deep as my hips allow. It wasn't that intentional. It felt like I lost control of the drop a bit but was able to save it anyway with tightening the core.

Cleans

Squats.

  • Every minute on the minute x 9 min
  • 1 back squat (100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140kg)

It's been a while since back squatting so the purpose of this was to get used to getting a heavy barbell on my back. I went up to 140kg which felt heavy. Actually all the other loads felt okay but at 135kg it felt heavy as a ton, and the wall hit me at 140kg.



These stories are awesome


It was quite surprising to have it so suddenly slap me in the face. I felt very comfortable up to 130 kilos. One rep every minute but it didn't come an issue of having such a short recovery between reps. That was okay. The lighter reps were probably too light. It would have been a better workout to have one rep per minute at around 120-130kg for couple of minutes.

Squats


Metcon. Time, 13.30

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 7 squat clean, 60kg
  • 14 box jump
  • 7 chest-to-bar pull-ups
  • 200m row

Squat cleans are great but in a workout they are miserable. They suck big time! =) For first 3 rounds I went unbroken with them but my mind told me to drop the bar already on the second round. Instead, I fought for a little more, and decided to do 4-3 only on the last round.



Having legs jello after cleans it was cool to go and do the box jumps. Hmm, okay maybe not so cool. It surely made them fatigue fast. This was designed so that there were two elements burning legs, and then giving recovery for them and do pull-ups instead. There weren't that big a number of c2b's so they were unbroken each round.



Rowing is always a good one to make breathing go heavy or stay heavy. It was a short sprint so I kept the pace rather fast. Most of the time in this metcon felt like it was used in the transitions. I was gassed midway to the wod and it really was a dark place at times. Worst part was definitely the combination of cleans and box jumps.

First round of the workout

The Crossfit Regionals are starting tomorrow!!! How awesome is that. There are Ben Smith and Noah Olsen on the men's side, and Emily Bridgers and Sam Briggs on women's side. It's gonna be a big fight for the regionals podium between these athletes.





No comments:

Post a Comment