Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sunday 9.8: Squat, Row, Ghd

Sunday. AM: recovery at the swimming stadium. PM: Back squat 10x3 (133kg). Metcon, 8min amrap of: 300m row, 12 ghd. Result, 4rds + 300m row. Cool down, 3k row.

In the morning we went to the Helsinki swimming stadium to relax, sunbathe and some recovery swim lapses. In the evening I went to work at the gym. It wasn't going to be an easy day. Lots of squat sets, heavy ones. Afterwards a very intense workout, and some easy rowing to flush my legs, and get them ready for the upcoming week.



Smolov.
  • Back squat 10x3 (133kg)
Honestly, this was a bit frightening day. I was nervous about the squats for the entire weekend as it was obvious it's going to be heavy. I did my mental game and went to the gym with a strong mind anyway. These squats were destined to come up as planned.

Ten sets of squats is always a bit more mental than doing 4 long sets. It feels like those sets are never ending. I took proper recovery between sets so these took me quite precisely 37 minutes. One set about every four minutes.

These were quite heavy from the very beginning but I managed to push them through in a similar way each set. Towards the end the sounds from my mouth got a little louder which means to say they were heavier. I'm happy this squat session is over =)

Squats


Metcon. Result, 4 rounds + 300m row
  • 8min amrap of:
  • 300m row
  • 12 ghd sit-ups
I created this workout only after the squats. It was magnificent! This was a short metcon on purpose so I would be able to give my everything on the rower. No pacing, just do the strokes and get to the ghd's as fast as possible. For once, I was able to put the elements of the workout close together so there wouldn't be extra walking around the gym. This saved time for sure. Short transitions.

Rowing pace was 1.35 - 1.38 each round. That was enough to make my legs hurt. Breathing was naturally also heavy all the time. Ghd's were unbroken, and easier of the two elements. But it also got tough in the end. Not because of my core but because my legs were getting tired and those are needed in the ghd's too. Felt like hip flexors were on fire. This really made my gasp for air after the metcon was over.





Coold down.
  • 3.000m row
Because the metcon was so intense, I figured it's beneficial to flush legs after the torture. There was no plan whatsoever, just kept pulling with easy pace. It was 2:00 pace all the time. No need to speed up. This was just a recovery row. At some point I decided to row for 2k but it felt so good that I kept going for an extra kilometer. Good training session!



No comments:

Post a Comment