Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Wednesday 11.11: Clean and jerk, Front squat

Wednesday. Emom x 9min: clean and jerk (up to 90kg). Front squat 5x3 @ 120kg.

Felt good to get back in the gym. It's been busy times at work so getting to the gym is a perfect way to empty all the work related thoughts and focus on the barbell. Bar is always ready to work with you, no matter what. Today's agenda was clean and jerks and front squats. Wasn't mentally ready for conditioning piece as my body was a bit beaten up.

Got these new wrist straps from Toni for birthday =)

Oly.
  • Every minute on the minute x 9 minutes:
  • Clean and jerk
  • 1-3min: 80kg
  • 4-6min: 85kg
  • 7-9min: 90kg
It was great to put the bar overhead. Lately I've had no issues with my elbows. At some point there seemed to be some nagging pain after every press / jerk session. Especially when going over 80kg weights. Today I started at this load, kept knocking singles for 3 minutes, then added 5kg after every 3 min again. Last weight was 90kg, and it made me happy inside that the weight came up pretty nicely.

Cleans were the easy part of these lifts. My clean is rather strong compared to overhead strength so picking these weights from the floor brought no issues whatsoever. Jerks were clearly heavier. These are not baby weights for me. Don't know where the current max stands right now but those last jerks @ 90kg were good battles. I would say something around 95-100kg might be the max right now.



Strength.
  • Front squat 3-3-3-3-3 (120kg)
Building it up to 120kg triples by doing warm-up sets at 5x60kg, 3x90kg, 1x110kg. Legs were pretty well up for the challenge after clean and jerks as I took them up as squat cleans. Total of 5x3 across at 120kg.

I'm happy on the way I was able to maintain form on these squats. The last rep was a good grind in each of the sets, and I had to really push it. Other than that my elbows stayed up front as they should be. And it didn't take an eternity to finish the sets. Goal was to do them rather fast without stopping and breathing on top for too long.


In the end I did mobility for overhead squats. There is one L1 crossfit trainer at the gym as my training partner - Lauri - who is always ready to give good tips for mobility, and efficiency in movements. I'm ready to soak everything in. He gave me tasks to do for overhead squat mobility. Those really put my back and lats on fire, in a good way.



No comments:

Post a Comment