Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday 14.9: Front squat

Friday. Strength 5x5 (max PR 102.5kg).

C'mon! The feeling wasn't the best in the afternoon. My right shoulder is close to be inflamed and there is also a slight chance of flu crawling in so I wasn't sure if I should go to the gym. Then, a couple of my colleagues went to the gym so I had no other option but to accompany them =) I think my shoulder and elbows were damaged earlier this week because of training three days in a row of handstand skills / handstand push-ups. It's not that familiar movement to me so it wasn't very wise to overload my body with that kind of burden. Anyway, I decided to focus purely on my legs today with front squat strength training. In addition I dribbled with the jump rope and some knees-to-elbows but skipped a wod for today.

Strength. 5x5 (90+95+100+100+ PR 102.5kg).

I just love front squats. My package stays in control, so to say. I can keep a good posture and my elbows pointed forward, I'm able to maintain strong middle section and squats go all the way down. This is the movement, which in my opinion is rolling the best and easiest for me at the moment. My previous 3-rep PR was 95kg. Today I took 5-rep sets but when I went to hundred kilos and up I lifted 3 reps in each set: 3x100kg, 3x100kg, 2x102.5kg. That last 102.5kg rep didn't come all the way up so my training partner had to give his helping hand. It was extremely close. I'm so happy that I went to the gym and I immediately felt much better with my flu and shoulder issues. I would have liked to take a wod as well but hey, that would have been stupid =)

Today's training also gives hope to my back squat training. I've understood that it's not normal to have such a  small difference with front and back squat maxes. Max for front squat is 102.5kg and 110kg for back squats. Only 7.5kg difference is awkward. I'm optimistic that there is good potential in my back squats, I just have to start adding weights there.


People walk through the doors and ask: "where are all the machines?" -We are the machines

2 comments:

  1. This sounds nice:

    Five rounds for time of:
    15 Walking lunge steps, carrying a 95 pound barbell in the front rack position
    30 Double-unders

    www.crossfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that too! Should we go for that on Thursday morning? The gym is closed Mon-Wed. We'll better take some running because of that, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete