Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunday 9.9: Rowing and skills (video)


Sunday. Yesterday was a rough day of workouts so today was supposed to be more skills oriented, some sort of a rest day. Highlighting the "was supposed to"... The schedule turned out to be as follows:


  • 10 rounds of row 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds (1.748m)
  • Skills training: handstand, 20 min
  • 10 rounds of row 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds (1.729m)
  • Skills training: double unders, 10 min
  • Technique training: snatch and overhead squats


Rowing. I took off with the traditional rowing warm-up, combined to pvc pipe and different kinds of squats. After some 15 minutes of preparing my body for another workout, I started the rowing interval excercise. The idea is to row 30 seconds as fast as you can, then rest 30 seconds, repeat 9 times to reach total of 10 rounds. The distance is your result. I had to beat my CF idol's (read my bro's) result so I switched to bigger gear and started bouncing as a maniac. Result 1.748m and a win. He's still way ahead of me in strength so I'll have to improve there. Well okay, he's result was something like 1.720m so we were quite even on this one ;)



Handstand. I want to master the handstand skill, as well as handstand push-ups and handstand walk so I took a 20 min session of practising handstand skills, I used a wall for my assistance. Being inverted is not normal for a person so it takes time to get used to the upside down position. For some reason I sometimes realize I'm holding my breath while being inverted, don't know why but I'll have to get rid of that awkward habit. I also took a 5 min handstand training earlier today as I was walkin with my dog at the park. It really gives pressure to your shoulders so mine were burning after 20 minutes.



Rowing. I wanted to know how well could I maintain the speed if I went again with the same row wod, so I took 10 rounds of 30/30 work/rest interval training for the second time. Result was 1.729 meters so pretty much the same as first time. I'm happy I could maintain the speed. My ass began to go numb when rowing so I didn't want to take a third similar workout =)

Double unders. There has clearly been a solid development with double unders so I want to keep training that skill on a regular basis. Currenty I get them going relatively well but I'm using more energy than I'm supposed to. That's because my knees bend too much, legs should be rather straight when jumping but I haven't been able to do them the correct way this far. That's why I attempted that style and managed to gain few double unders "the correct way". Furthermore, my style is still that double-single-double-single style. I always take an extra single under between double unders. However, today I managed to do four double unders in a row without any single unders in between, I was surprised myself as well =)

Snatch / OHS. At the end I had a good feeling about two quite unfamiliar movements to me: snatch and overhead squats (OHS). I took some 5-10 minutes to practice those with a pvc pipe and then with a bar (20kg). Especially the OHS seems difficult as I'm having trouble hitting 90 degrees with bar held over my head. I'm sure I just need more reps.

No comments:

Post a Comment