Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday 5.9: Rowing, skills training, tabata


Wednesday. This day was a mixture of all kinds of exercises. It all started 7:30am with rowing. My focus on the day was more like an active recovery and skills training, there was no strength training included at all, nor a wod. The idea was to meet up with Toni at the gym as I had planned to inspire him to better performance by coaching him but we had some miscommunication as he had a rest day due to several days of training in a row. So I decided to take a lighter version of training today as I had already wen through four sessions myself this week in two days.

There was a nice exercise at www.crossfit.com few days ago:

  • 30 rounds for distance
  • 30 seconds row
  • 30 seconds rest

I took off with this workout by completing ten rounds, my distance was 1.600m, one mile. I'll definitely take this wod some morning, seemed cool. After getting my heart pumped up, I took about ten minutes skills training with jump rope. All kinds of jumping, single unders, double unders, single unders by jumping in different styles, sideways, with one leg etc. Very useful, this is my new favorite, I've had my jump rope with me pretty much every time in the last couple of weeks and I will going to master double unders this autumn due to skills training =)

I also wanted to take a quick glimpse to overhead squats (OHS). My mobility in shoulders and back muscles isn't flexible enough to make the movement easily. It takes a lot of effort and it requires a lot of work to get to - let's say almost 90 degrees angle - in the bottom position. It went better than last time I tried it some time ago. I've been kidding around with PVC pipe at the gym and I can see some slow progression in my shoulder mobility. I was able to snatch the bar to satisfactory position and then somehow managed to squat with the bar 3 x 10 (20kg). I'm gonna take this as a skills training in the future, accompanied after some strength training and wods. Anyway, the morning workout (45min) was active recovery, so to say, and increasing mobility on my body. Good job in my opinion.

In the evening I had 1.5h floorball practice and my coach asked me to get the team mates warmed-up with crossfit style training so I decided to go with tabata squats and another tabata style workout. It was kind of a plank hold in an upright push-up position, with the difference that you must extend your arms a little bit forward along your body. That means your hands are not at the breast level but over the head. Then the entire body must do work, not just your shoulders. You have to keep the entire core tight, abs definitely and shoulders too. I didn't take notes on the reps in squats but they were around 18+ per round.

1 comment:

  1. Jeee testiviesti "subscribe by e-mail" :)
    -Pauliina

    ReplyDelete