Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday 10.9: Handstand + skills

Monday. Handstand skills, handstand push-ups, knees-to-elbows (K2E), double unders. Mostly skills oriented day with a spice of shoulder pressure. My plan was to go with back squats as strength training but once I was warming up my legs and groin area felt really stiff. I still decided to for it and went squatting with lighter weights for starters. Already 60kg felt rather heavy and my joints still didn’t feel flexible so I decided to skip strength training for today. No point in forcing one to some heavy squatting if the body is not that receptive. So I decided to go for my new favorite, handstand related exercises. I went ten rounds as follows:

  • Handstand skills
  • 10 K2E
  • Handstand skills
  • 10 K2E
  • Handstand skills
  • 10 K2E
  • Handstand skills
  • 10 K2E
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 10 K2E
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 10 K2E
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 10 K2E
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 10 K2E
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 10 K2E
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 10 K2E

I started by just playing with it, trying to focus on that still and steady position with my legs pointed straight, first against the ceiling, having the wall next to me as assistance. My strategy was to swing my legs against the wall, or more like “kiss the wall”, not slam my legs against it. Then try to find that position where my legs are not leaning against the wall but being carried totally by my hands and shoulders. Little by little I’m getting there, it’s easier to find that stable balance the more I practice. However, there is still a long way to go until I can go handstand walking or hold the handstand balance for ages =)

Each round, after some 1-2 minute handstand practicing I went for 10 reps of knees-to-elbows, known as K2E. Then back to handstand skills. Four rounds like this, then I decided to give some extra pressure for my shoulders by introducing 10 reps of handstand push-ups (HSPU) each round. So the remaining 6 rounds I went 10 HSPU + 10 K2E. The last reps really got to my shoulders in a nice way. I didn’t time this wod, it was all about doing them with quality and concentration. Total of 60 HSPUs and 100 K2Es.

I just felt out of juice in the morning, so I’m somewhat disappointed that my legs didn’t work as I had planned but the good thing is that I was able to substitute the workout to upper body exercise. There is a 1.5h team training in the evening so I’ll put on my goalie gear and play some floorball.

Toni went for squats, purely strength training. He came up with max rep of 105kg, which is his split personal record from two weeks ago. He also tried 110kg but this was not the day for a new PR. Maybe next time =)


2 comments:

  1. At the team training the coach had planned a circuit training for about 20 minutes, he did it well, it was really worth the workout: squats, lunges, back extensions, different types of abs, push-ups, jumps. Very efficient!

    ReplyDelete