Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday 15.9: Game + deadlift + metcon


Saturday. Deadlift 3x3 (max 137.5kg), hip thrusters 3x8 (max 80kg), good morning 3x8 (max 60kg). Wod. 4 rounds of 30 box, 15 K2E, 30 DU. Time 9.44.

One game, strength training concentrating on back muscles and hip plus a metcon. Tough day, just the way I like it. We had three games today as a small tournament, it was part of the rivalry for the Finnish Cup Champion. I played the last game of the day. We had one tie and one win before the last game so we needed to beat our competitor to move to the next round. The result 6-0, can't be more than proud of the team and how well we played and definitely earned the spot in the next round. In addition to my shoutout, I also got one assist and denied one penalty shot at the end of the game, not bad.

Strength. Deadlift 3x3 (130+135+137.5kg), hip thrusters 3x8 (60+60+80kg), good morning 3x8 (50+55+60kg).

Yesterday I was wondering weather to go for front squats or deadlifts and finally decided for squatting. So today it was obvious that I would compensate that decision for my body. I had already a good "warm-up" and sweat on because of the game and therefore I took on rather quickly the strength training. I did some 80 / 100 / 120kg weights up first and then moved on to test my back some more with heavier weights. I took 130+ weights as my 3-rep sets. I was happy with the result. My aim was not to go for personal records this time (140kg) but I was close.

After deadlifts I wanted some more strength training before a metcon and my calendar showed I should go after hip thrusters. Never done them before, only looked some videos on youtube. They should create power and explosiveness to hip area, crucial for deadlifts at least. I took 3 sets of 8 reps, first 60 kilos twice and finally 80kg. It really felt this was the first time doing them, it wasn't that stable and solid. But at least the weights came up =)

I also took good morning as last strength training, 3x8, adding kilos in each set. Starting from 50, going up with 55 and 60kg. I'm going to add this once in a while to my deadlift training days. It's a good variation to keep the body fresh.

Wod. Box jumps, knees-to-elbows and double unders. Time 9.44. Four rounds for time of:

  • 30 box
  • 15 K2E
  • 30 DU


Felt like a heart attack was about to come my way. Good workout! Combination of box jumps and double unders are a killer. A mand gets gassed rather quickly, the third round was tough, hard to catch a breath and you don't want to take a pause once you're fighting the clock. I went unbroken for two rounds for all the movements. For box jumps I recall stumbling two times during the workout and for K2Es I had to go 10+5 for the last two rounds. DUs didn't go unbroken in any round, usually in three sets. It was tough, exhausting workout and I really enjoyed it. The abs also got their part of the workout with the knees touching elbows (okey, some of them touched only triceps). I recommend. Once you do it, post your time, I'm interested to see where I stand among you guys.

Toni suggested this workout to be done next week. It also caught my attention, probably going after it


Five rounds for time of:

  • 15 walking lunge steps, carrying a 95 lbs barbell (43kg) in the front rack position
  • 30 double unders



No comments:

Post a Comment