Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuesday: Clean and jerk, deadlift, wods (video)


Tuesday. Two times I packed my gear and went to the gym. First early in the morning, concentration on clean & jerk 5x3 (max 55kg), in the evening I focused on deadlift, 5x3 (max 140kg), also shoulder press 4x3 (40kg)and good morning included 3x8 (40kg). Both strength trainings were accompanied by wods. There was a PR result involved. Toni was at the gym in the morning as well and on a soccer field in the evening.



Morning strength training. 5x3 (50+50+55+55+50kg). This was the first time I combined clean and push press by doing a clean & jerk movement as strength training. Two step - move, first classic power clean and then pressing the bar up to a full extension for a rep. I had trouble lifting the weights, I didn't feel as strong in the morning time as usually. There were some difficulties to reach full utilisation of body strength that early. My legs were so jammed up due to yesterday's workout that they didn't help me in power cleans. However, I did some mental work during the practice, which helped me to finalize it with honour. I'm quite satisfied to the result after all. Max kilos 55.

Morning wod. 50-35-20. Time 12.26 (not racing against it anyway)

  • Dips
  • Wall balls (10kg plate)
  • Double unders


My original plan was to do pull-ups instead of dips but that would have been a mission impossible from the very beginning. I can do 20 pull-ups in a row but then fatigue normally hits me very quickly and I can only do sets of max 5 reps at once. Thus, it would have taken an eternity to complete 105 reps of pull-ups just like that. That's why I had dips instead. I wasn't "fighting" agains the clock in this wod but still I wanted to put the time running as it usually prevents too many breaks during a wod. The purpose was more like to do the reps with quality. First set of dips went 20, then 10, then less. In the following 35 and 20 rep sets they went broken, something of a 5 rep average, my shoulders and arms begun to feel numb so I had no other possibilities.

My wall balls are a modification as I don't have wall balls at our "box" so I traditionally use a 15kg plate as a thruster, today I had 10kg plate on my hands. They went unbroken in first and third set but in the second set I had a small break. My double unders are in good shape nowadays. There is still a lot of work to be done with technique but at least I can make a good number of reps in a row and tens of reps in a wod is not that scary anymore =)

Toni also did a workout consisting of back squats, kettlebell and double unders. Here's a video of him doing the final round of kettlebells (16kg). I think the wod had 3 rounds of 10 back squats (60kg), 30 KB swings and 10 double unders.



Evening strength training. Deadlift 5x3 (120+125+130+135+ PR 140kg). Shoulder press 4x3 (40x40x40x40kg). Good morning 3x8, (40x40x40kg). I definitely wanted to make up the lack of commitment in the morning strength training by adding shoulder press to this evening wod. Never done it before, definitely going to in the future, I liked it. This was also first good morning practice with weights, good one as well for back muscles. But hey c'mon, new PR always lightens a man up! Awesome feeling after that last deadlift. I went from 120kg to 140kg by adding 5kg after each 3 repetitions. A friend took the grande finale on video so here it is, sorry for the inconvenience as the video is sideways.



Evening wod. 3 rounds of the following movements. Time 5.17

  • 5 deadlifts (100kg)
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 15 squats
  • 20 double unders


There were quite a number of reps already done for today so I decided to go a little lighter version wod at the end. Five reps of deadlifts, this time 100kg, adding 10 pull-ups, 15 air squats and 20 double unders. All but pull-ups were easy. The 100kg bar wasn't that heavy after some heavier lifting before. Squats were obiously not an issue and think about this: 2/3 sets of 20 double unders went unbroken, haha, I'm so happy about it! This was the second time during the day of "double undering" and they are rolling nicely! However, for the fatigue in my shoulders my pull-ups were lousy in the second and third rounds. First set unbroken, then they felt unbearable.

At the end I did some 10 minutes skills training for double unders and jump rope skills anyway. Just mixing it out and trying to get those double unders rolling without that extra single under in between doubles. I'm including jump rope training on a daily basis so that my body gets extremely familiar with singles and doubles and whatever you can do with the rope. Yesterday and today I practiced how to run with the jump rope =) Some cooling down at the end with streching, exercise bicycle and slow air squats with good motion range.

No comments:

Post a Comment