Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday 16.9: DU skills + clean + wod (video)



Sunday. Double under skills training, strength training for cleans (PR 67.5kg), wod 7min amrap of 7 kettlebell clean & jerk, left hand, 7 kettlebell clean & jerk, right hand and 7 K2E. My result was 119 reps.



Skills. We went to the gym with Toni and after a 5 minute rowing and kettlebell warm-up we continued to practice skills for double unders. This day was a breakthrough for both of us, huge one! Toni finally got the double unders rolling with 2-3 single unders in between. This has been quite an issue this far. Very good job Toni! I've been doing doubles by having one single under always in between. I haven't even trained not to have a single between doubles. Today we took 15-20 minutes of hard core jump rope training and dribbled all kinds of jumping to get totally familiarised with this skill. At some point I figured out what DUs are all about. All of a sudden I managed to do  10 double unders in a row, that is without singles in between, c'mon! My posture and foot work technique wasn't obviously awesome but this was extremely huge step for both of us =)



Strength. Clean 6x5 (55+55+60+62.5+65+ PR67.5kg)

At fiftyfive the bar didn't weigh that much at all. Today was good day for clean training. I took some cleans with lighter weigths for sure but my sets started from 55kg. Sixty kg came up nicely as well so I figured we are close to making a persona record today. My previous PR was 2 reps with 65kg. Today I took 5 reps with the same weight. That was my goal but as it was going so nicely I had to take it a bit further. 2 reps with 67.5kg, PR.



Toni went for front squats, previous PR for him was at 80kg, today he added 2.5kg and managed to do his best this far, PR 82.5kg. He went for 3 reps in previous sets but for 80kg and 82.5kg he took 2 reps.

Wod. 7 min amrap. 7 K2E short of total 6 rounds.

  • 7 KB Clean & jerk, left hand
  • 7 KB Clean & jerk, right hand
  • 7 K2E


I decided to gor for 7 min amrap (as many reps as possible) for clean & jerk with my 20kg kettlebell. That means for 7 minutes you have to do these three movements for as many repetitions as you are able. The result is the number of movements in total. You can not move to the next movement before you have done the previous. First clean & jerk 7 times with left hand, the kb touching the ground each time. Then 7 C&j for right hand, then move to 7 knees-to-elbows. Then another round, continue for 7 minutes. I got 5 total rounds and managed to do 7 kb clean & jerks with both hands. Only those K2Es were short of 6 total rounds. Left hand jerks went unbroken each time. For right hand jerks, I had to take a short pause in rounds 4 and 5, in the last round I pushed through like a raging bull for the final sprint. K2Es went unbroken every round. Good workout, total of 42 reps for left hand, 42 reps for right hand, 35 K2Es.

Toni's wod included 5 rounds of the following. Time 10.57

  • 10 front squat (50kg)
  • 20 sit-ups



He had some wrist issues with front squats, he is not that familiar with front squats, I believe this was his second time doing them. I also remember that similar pain in wrists as they didn't bend as they should. Nowadays I don't have that problem at all. The sit-ups were a killer, according to Toni, the abs went numb he said =) I think this was an awesome day of training for both of us. Toni went forward with double unders and front squats, also abs got their share. It hit me like a lightning how the DUs should be done, and I also got PR result for cleans. Now I'll go and take a long recovering walk at the sea front in Helsinki as the weather is extremely beautiful. Have a nice Sunday!

5 comments:

  1. Tough sunday. I nearly had to stop driving because i was feeling dizzy :-). Tommi here's something to think about: "the bear complex"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough sunday. I nearly had to stop driving because i was feeling dizzy :-). Tommi here's something to think about: "the bear complex"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there was a bit of puke thrown at the locker room after workout ;)

    Yes, we'll definitely do bear complex some day. I did 5 rounds of it in July. I have no idea with what kind of weights I went that time. It's tough one for sure! That I remember =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first video :D "HAH!" väldigt bra, stolt över dig ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks beib! We were so proud of the development we made with double unders. That was the first set of ten doubles in a row so that joy burst out like that :D And Toni also made enormous progresssion!

    ReplyDelete