Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday 1.10: Ring skills + back squats + wod (video)


Monday. Ring skills for 15 minutes, strength training for back squats 3x5 (max 115kg) and finally a metcon consisting of squats and ring movements. Time 6.30. This was the first time I arrived to the gym this early, at 7.00. My work begins at 9.00 so I had plenty of time to do crossfit.



Ring skills. After good and rather all-around warm-up I adjusted the newly arrived Rogue rings to a pull-up bar. They have awaited in the original delivery box to be installed to the ceiling but today I wanted to enhance my skills with the rings. I took 15 minutes for this purpose. First, just basic hold positions. Then ring dips in sets of five or ten reps. Finally push-ups in sets of ten reps. They were very handy and they really got my shoulders and breast burning. I was very content with doing skills training with the rings. Awesome tool to improve strength level for upper body.

Strength. Back squat 3x5 (100+105+110+ 2 reps for 115kg). Some days my legs feel a bit more stiff and on some days they are more flexible. In some cases it’s more difficult to squat deep and on some days it’s not a problem at all. In general my hip mobility is not awesome which makes me do rather lot of work to hit the bottom position properly. My ultimate bottom position is not far more than 90 degrees. So it really makes a difference how good my warm-up has been prior to the strength training and how well I force myself deep enough. Today was a good day in that sense. I took sets of 5 reps with 100, 105, and 110kg. I also tried it with 115kg but managed to do only 2  reps. That is my current PR, dating to September 18th. So I must be satisfied with the results. It felt good all the time during the workout and I was doing better with the knee / hip angle as I went down in all repetitions.

Wod. Time 6.30. I definitely wanted to put more stress for my legs. I decided to go for all different kinds of squat types and mix it around with ring movements.  
  • 30 back squat (50kg)
  • 20 push-ups
  • 20 front squats (50kg)
  • 10 ring dips
  • 10 overhead squats (20kg)
  • 1min ring hold




This was a good one, 60 squats with weights (back, front and overhead), with ring push-ups and dips. I was able to do the moves unbroken except the dips (7+3) and the one minute stable ring hold felt difficult. Especially as I’m not familiar with them so it felt difficult at this stage and had to divided to two or three sets. I stayed up for 40 seconds first, then I’m not sure, I may have taken it in three parts.

Toni did back squat as well, with sets of 5 reps of 80+80+90kg. Afterwards he did a metcon, which comprised of rowing, squats, single unders and burpees. Time 10.19.
  • 500m row
  • 30 overhead squats (with pvc pipe)
  • 500m row
  • 80 Single unders
  • 500m row
  • 30 burpees





In the evening we had a game number two as the season continues at the home stadium. I was supposed to have a game off today but was called on duty as a back-up goalie. Anyway, I started as a back-up but I was put in in the middle of the second period. Final score was a tie.


4 comments:

  1. Those ring dips were amazing. I almost manage to do one :-) Today is all about deadlift (Death by deadlift)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just wondering if I'd be able to do even one of them... but I guess not then :D What about ring push-ups Toni, did you try those?

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you can do dips! I didn't try ring push ups. Maybe I should try them tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll see... You should definitely try them!

    ReplyDelete