Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday 14.10: Squats + 2 metcons

Sunday. Back squat 6x5 (max 115kg), weighted lunges 3x5 (60kg). Metcon 15min amrap of burpees, farmer's walk and wall climbs.

Third day at the gym here in Sweden. Together with my girlfriend we've done some pretty good workouts here as the possibilities are a bit different. Especially I'm gonna miss the skierg machine, which I have used on a daily basis here. I can't imagine a better combination of warm-up and upper body conditioning than rowing and skierg after each other. Also the variety of kettlebells here is vast and the possibility to do wall ball shots are awesome. I just have to keep on adding various elements to keep the workouts mixed and versatile. Today my strength training concentrated in my legs: back squats, 6 sets of 5 reps after which I took weighted lunges. There was also a 15min amrap of burpees, farmer's walk and wall climbs. At the end I took the row / skierg combo.

Strength. Back squat 6x5 (80+90+100+105+110+115). Weighted lunges, alternating legs 3x5 (60kg). My hamstrings felt very good from the very beginning and there were no stiffness in my joints. A good sign and positive feeling to start pushing forward. After warm-up I quite rapidly got up to 80kg and started putting some serious weights on the bar. I was wondering how light the weights actually felt, 100kg was far easier than normally. So I added 5 kilos after each set of 5 reps. My PR is 115kg, dating back to September 18th. Today I took that bar up four times. Naturally I could've put more weights on and get maybe 1-2 reps. However, would it have been worth it? I don't think so. I was pleased that I took more reps with this shared PR than go for one rep with higher kilos. Create a good base and build up the base by doing sets of 3 or 5 reps each time. Then you can finally up the kilos with those higher sets. That's what I think. There may be many truth to this one. After back squats I took 3 sets of 5 reps with both legs, alternating them after each rep. All in all, my back squats were rolling today! :)

Metcon. 15min amrap of three movements. Result 6 total rounds, 10 burpees and 30m farmer's walk.

  • 10 burpees
  • 120m farmer's walk (2x20kg kettlebell)
  • 3 wall climbs


I rested for about 10 minutes, gave Pauliina some encouragement with her moves and then took my first metcon. This workout consisted of three different moves for 15min amrap. First 10 burpees, then 120m farmer's walk with 2 x 20kg kettlebells and finally 3 wall climbs. I managed to go for 6 rounds + 10 burpees and 30m walk with the KBs. Total of 70 burpees, 750m farmer's walk and 18 wall climbs. The nature of the workout pleased me. My shoulder and hands started to burn after 4 rounds. Burpees were pretty much my "rest time", they didn't feel bad at all compared to the other moves. Farmer's walk wasn't that bad for a couple of rounds but after ten minutes that distance was quite long in my head. My  grip started to come loose and I had to do some mental work to be able to push through. Wall climbs were as energy consuming as they were when I did hero wod Adrian one week ago. That is an awesome movement! Really gets to the shoulders an triceps big time. Also breathing got heavy after four rounds. I liked this one!



Metcon. Final workout included rowing and skierg. Time about 9.00.

  • 500m row
  • 500m skierg
  • 500m row
  • 500m skierg


At the end I still wanted to go for my favorite upper body conditioning machines, rowing and skierg. I did two rounds of 500m rowing and 500m skierg. My transitions were quite slow but the times spent on the machines stayed quite good. Rowing was around 1.40-1.45 / 500m and skierg was around 2.00 / 500m both times.

Pauliina's day consisted of running, legs and back muscles. There were extensive stretching and mobility workouts done at the end of the day. Hopefully our joints are now flexible again.

3 comments:

  1. Some serius training. I bet your legs are screaming tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully :) I think I'm going to go the the home gym right from the airport, let's see what's on the agenda

    ReplyDelete