Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tuesday 2.10: Deadlift (death by..) + wod (videos)

Tuesday. Deadlift 6x5 (PR 150kg), wod 21-15-9 deadlift, k2e, wall ball. Time 6.59.

I can really feel at the moment in my back that today was a day of heavy deadlifts. Toni joined me in the morning workout and we both did the same strength training. The metcons were different in nature, Toni went for death by deadlift. I took knees-to-elbows and wall balls as ingredients well. By the way, I find it awesome warm-up to do some bear complex with the bar (20kg) for starters after some rowing, jump rope, squats, lunges and overhead squats. It really heats up the muscles in a good way. I've taken it as a routine nowadays.

Strength. 6x5 (110+120+130+140+145+ PR 150kg). I have really improved a lot in deadlifts in the near past. My first deadlifts were about two months ago with approximately 110kg. Since then I was able to upgrade it to 130kg. Since then it has been quite a steady development with adding some 5 kilos once in a while. And these are not 1 rep maxes but usually 3 reps. Today I took 5 reps for 110+120+130+140 kilos. For 145 (my previous PR) I took 3, as well as with 150kg, new record. I'm very happy to the result, you'll see the last three reps in the video below.

Deadlift 150kg, 3 reps

Toni took 5 reps for three sets, 100 + 110 + 120kg. Then he took 130kg once and 120kg trice. He said it was difficult to hold a good grip of the bar. After the training session I also paid attention to the missing pieces of my hand as the bar had scratched some skin off... =)

Wod. We had different types of metcons. Time 6.59, Toni had 63 reps. My workout was 21-15-9 of the following.

  • Deadlift (100kg)
  • Knees-to-elbows, K2E
  • Wall ball (15kg plate)

This means in the first round you'll have to do 21 reps of deadlift, K2E and wall ball, next round 15 reps of each and finally 9 reps of each. I don't have access to wall ball so I have modified it to using 15kg plate which I use to do thrusters, you'll see it in the video. I can see afterwards that I should highlight the full motion with the K2Es. I would like to see my knees go higher to touch the elbows correctly, not only the triceps. Next time I'll do this better. Anyway, that is a badass movement and really gets to your core. My grip got a bit loose in the final reps so I couldn't go unbroken. In the first round I had to wait some +20sec as there was traffic under the pull-up bar.

Don's metcon, first round

I got the first 15 deadlifts unbroken, then I had to take a short pause to adjust my grip. Same with the K2Es, 15 in a row, then a short brake. Wall balls were unbroken in each set. In the second round I took 5+5+5 for deadlifts, 9+6 for K2Es and maybe the third round of deadlifts was unbroken or then in two sets. This metcon was wicked, I was really gassed at the end and it hit me everywhere. There were a total of 45 reps each movement. That is 4.500kg of deadlifts, and 675kg of wall balls. And those approximately 30 reps of over 100kg reps before the metcon... No wonder my back really feels it now, in a good way!

Toni took another set of "Death by Deadlift". Last time he did this workout with 100kg about 1.5 months ago. That time his result was 7 rounds and 6 reps, total of 34 reps. However, he remembered he did it with 85kg so today he put 85kg at the barbell because he wanted to compare the development. Anyway, today the result was 10 rounds and 8 reps with 85kg, total of 63 reps. A lot of kilos was moving around today! Toni, do you want to comment you calculation skills? ;)

Toni, 110kg

1 comment:

  1. My calculation skills are good as my form in deadlifts. Not that good :-). But workout was great. 63 reps really made my back scream (in a good way)

    Tomorrow: Clean (PR)

    ReplyDelete