Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday 30.10: Clean and jerk, metcon

Tuesday. Clean & jerk 3-3-3-2-1 (max 70kg). Metcon 4 rounds of db thrusters, hspu and lunges.

This day was somewhat easier one. I took some sets of clean & jerk, ending up to 70kg. Training also included a metcon with dumbbell thrusters, handstand push-ups and lunges with a bar at my back. Toni was at the gym with me, he went for cleans, bench press and similar kind of workout as I did. This evening is free of training so tomorrow morning we are prepped up for going after something awkward with Toni. Stay tuned!

Dumbbell thrusters
Strength. Clean & jerk 3-3-3-2-1 (50, 60, 65, 70, 70kg). On the last round I took 3 cleans, only 1 jerk. My cleans were power cleans. However, with 50kg I took squat cleans to remind myself who they should go. So this workout was to combine clean and push press to reach "clean & jerk". I took 70kg C&Js up 2 times on the fourth round and once in the last round. In the last round I anyway took 3x70kg cleans and only one jerk. I just realized when writing this that 70kg was my clean PR from 10 days ago, and push press PR from 3 days ago. I thought my morning training wasn't such a success I wanted but now I actually feel pretty good! Still, it takes time to go for Grace (30 x clean & jerk) with the rx'd weights (60kg). It might take a while. I enjoyed that workout a lot when I did it with 50kg last time. However, next time I think I'll go for the original weights.



Metcon. Dumbbell thrusters, handstand push-ups, lunges. I didn't time this one.

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 db thrusters (12.5kg dumbbells)
  • 5 hspu
  • 20 lunges (with 20kg bar)

I did it with normal speed, no extra breaks in between. I just didn't have the clock running. I felt this one in my hamstrings when doing thrusters in the deepest position. And handstand push-ups are always tough. I used a foam roll where I landed my head with the HSPUs. All sets went unbroken except the last rep of handstand push-ups, last rep! Damned, it was a half of a rep, I didn't want to count that so I did one proper one. I totally enjoy push-ups when inverted, must keep on enhancing in them. Then Diane (21-15-9, deadlift & hspu) would also be possible. And I definitely need to get rid of that foam roll, just bang my head to the floor :) Thrusters and lunges were not that bad, my legs felt it but in reality they were not bad. I should have done this in amrap-mode, more rounds or then just simply more reps. Good movements though!

Toni's workouts. Clean 3-3-3-3-2 (50, 60, 65, 70, 75kg). Bench press 3-3-3-F-3 (60, 70, 80, 85, 80kg). Metcon, 12min amrap. 6 rounds, 4 lunges. Total of 202 reps.
  • 12min amrap of:
  • 12 lunges (10kg dumbbells)
  • 9 db thrusters (10kg dumbbells)
  • 12 sit-ups

Toni, how was it, here is the last round of your amrap. First round it took about 1:30, then the following rounds were about 2 minutes. It was solid effort and you managed to keep the pace steady. What do you think of your strength training in the morning?

4 comments:

  1. My strength training today was not that good. I did cleans with 75 kg (2 reps) which is actually my current pr. My plan was to lift 77.5 kg but after two failed temps i decided to save it for later. About my bench I have nothing to say.

    That amrap was great. It really made my heart and scream. Now my legs are killing me. Thrusters and walking lunges are not my favorite moves but todays goal was to punish my legs. That goal was achieved :)

    Tomorrow we shall do something crazy. Tomorrow is all about cooking :) If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw: I just mixed an awesome recovery drink consisting bananas, blueberrys, milk, soured whole milk and organic hera-protein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, nice metaphora for tomorrow's workout!

    That recovery drink might sound ok but I know your organic stuff tastes like cow's ass so I'm having some doubts :)

    Toni, do some mobility / stretching in the evening so you'll be fully ready for the morning workout

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was able to hide that lovely taste. Now it's very good.

    ReplyDelete