Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday 29.10: Front squat, snatch, ohs

Monday. Front squat 3-3-3-3-2 (max 110kg, PR), snatch 4x5 (max 40kg), overhead squat 4x3 (30kg).

What a wonderful day for squatting. Yesterday I did 30 reps of back squats with 85% of max weights. This caused my legs to be somewhat tired in the morning as I woke up. I wasn't sure how the energy level would be to do heavy front squats. I proved to myself that great portion of training is mental. I pushed that fatigue to the background and started working. I ended up with another personal record and continued with snatches and overhead squats. I started the day by going 5x20 double unders, all sets unbroken and easy, nice!



Front squat. Sets of 3-3-3-3-2 (95, 100, 105, PR 110kg, 110kg). It is awkward that the more I put plates on the bar, the easier it got. I took some warm-up lifts with 80kg, they felt heavier than I thought they should be. It definitely didn't feel like there's gonna me any magic happening today. However, as I piled more weights, I suppose my joints and hip got more open and I managed to get a good form and the center of mass focused on the right spot. Sets around 100kg were not that bad so I added 5kg after each set until 100kg. I took my new personal record up three times. It felt very good so I took it again, this time 2 reps was enough for me. The first rep of that set looked good but on the second one I lost my form and decided to put the bar on the rack.

Snatch. Sets of 5-5-5-5 (30, 35, 40, 40kg). This is actually turning in to a strength move which I'm always looking eagerly forward to. My technique definitely needs to be worked on. I was going after coach Burgener's tips in snatching the bar from the ground, slowly to the halting deadlift and then furiously snatching it to the top. Previously my attempts have been hang snatches. At this moment I don't feel comfortable enough doing squat snatches, they are always power snatches. That's why I'm going after power snatches and overhead squats to find my perfect form. Once I feel confident with those, I'm able to add kilos and do squat snatches as well.



Overhead squats. Sets of 5-5-5-5 (30, 30, 30, 30kg). That's how my bottom position looks like. It's alright at the moment, my knees are still not pointing enough outside, in my opinion, and the weight is not on my heels. That's what I'm trying to fix now. However, my upper body mobility is from another world today and I'm able to go deep enough with shoulders giving up and letting my hands go back. Today I took 4x5 with 30kg on the bar.

Overhead squats

Toni's workouts. Back squats, technique focused pull-ups / dips workout and finally a metcon, time 9.55. Back squat 5-5-5-5-3 (80, 90, 95, 95, 95kg). Pull-ups 5x3, dips 5x4. Toni's metcon. Time 9.55
  • 1.000m row
  • 20 k2e
  • 20 dips
  • 20 du
Knees-to-elbows

Toni, tell us your feelings, how was the back squat? What kind of sets did you go for with these movements? I saw only your knees-to-elbows. By the way I'm very proud that you are doing those nowadays! One month ago you were laughing at them. Now you look like a pro.

By the way, here is a video of Visa doing his back squats in the morning. Pretty light one, 180kg on the bar... He is an animal!!!


4 comments:

  1. Today I had some problems in waking up my body. Maybe my warm up was not that good. Squats were awful. I'm not happy with my legs today (maybe tomorrow i should punish them :))

    I had some training with pull-ups. My goal was to do 5 rounds with 3 pull ups. This was though for me because my current PR is four pull ups in a row...Well I nailed it. Now I can move on to do 4 rounds with 4 pull-ups and after that three rounds with five pull-ups and so on. And finally, maybe I can do 15 on a row. This a training method which is created by me. Feel free to use it :)

    Tomorrow: Cleans, Bench press and a metcon that will probably kill me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a photo of you doing your K2Es where you show me ass as you are on top of the move :) I didn't dare to put that one in here...

    I give you some credit for your pull-ups. Same as with the knees-to-elbows, there was a time when you avoided them for a long time. The moment you began with pull-ups, the development began as well. Now you can go for quite a number of them. Soon you'll find you did 10 in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I had my team training with the floorball team yesterday evening. There was a black belt judoka to instruct workouts for our team for 1h in length. After that we played some floorball.

    The main focus was on body control movements, balancing, strengthening the core and shoulders. This was a good one, next week I think there will be another instructor / coach, the focus will be purely on kettlebells, nice!!!

    ReplyDelete