Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday 3.10: Weighted ring dips + push-ups

Wednesday. Weighted dips 5x5 (max 30kg) and weighted ring dips 4x5 (15kg).


Toni doing dips

Strength. Yesterday the amount of heavy deadlifts really nailed my back. Today was scheduled to be a clean strength training but that was out of question. I took some reps with 40 and 50kg but the stiffness in my lower back hindered me to go further. My backup plan was weighted dips as strength training so I immediately switched plans and went for dips. Toni took some clean training for starters, then joined me to do dips, rather new stuff for him. He took clean sets of 5 reps with 40+50+60kg, then 3 reps with 65kg. My dip sets were as follows:

  • Dips 5x5 (10+15+20+25+30kg)
  • Ring dips 4x5 (0+0+10+15kg)


First I took regular dips for sets of 5 reps. Starting with lighter weights and going up to 30kg. All other sets were 5 but I was powered out at the 30kg and managed to go for 2 reps only. I still call this a good dip day, especially as I also did ring dips in addition to regular ones. I took a 5-10min break in between, then did some ring dips, much more difficult movement which forces you to have a good body control, otherwise you will swing back and forth all the time. Whatever you do with the rings, keep your hands close to your body, that's the way you'll survive from too much wiggling.

I took ring dips with body weight first but because it felt so good and natural, I decided to add kilos. Finally I took 15kg set of 5 reps. The last reps were quite a battle after all that dip action during the morning as you can see from the picture. I really fell in love with the rings instantly and I recommend all you guys to purchase ones. I'm happy my employer agreed to get those to the "box". Soon they will be attached to the roof for a specific bar, both ordered from Rogue Fitness Europe. Then it's time to start practicing muscle-ups!

Ring dips, 15kg

Ring push-ups: 20+20+15


For final climax I did ring push-ups. Again, the hands must be kept close to the body because otherwise the position is going to be very weak. By doing push-ups with rings, it enables a good range of motion as you can hit your chest through your hands close to the rings and then naturally push yourself all the way to an elbows-locked position. Good and tough movement. It would be awesome to have a weighted vest to use in this type of training as well.



Toni also did regular dips and ring push-ups. You will see videos of him performing as well in my Youtube channel. He will definitely go for ring dips in the future too but first he will learn the regular dips perfectly, then go to the next level. He did ring push-ups well as you can witness from the clips. He's gonna be resting for two days now because of a mini vacation with some buddies. Let's see what I will do in the following days, I have some open questions in the air about tomorrow. At least on Friday my brother is going to practice with me, can't wait!


3 comments:

  1. "The last reps were quite a battle after all that dip action during the morning as you can see from the picture."
    Oh really! :D What a funny pic, couldn't even recognize you :D Once again: no pain, no gain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was quite hilarious to look at the pictures from camera afterwards. Toni refers to his battle look as "elf look", this looks pretty similar... It felt good as I managed to push it up, it felt like an eternity, probably took over 5 seconds. One lady was just entering the gym and stopped by the door, stared and asked Toni: "what is he doing?" -crossfit =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, forgot to wrote we had also floorball training with my team.

    ReplyDelete