Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday 22.10: Back squats + OHS + K2E

Monday. Back squats 6x5 (max 115kg), overhead squats 4x5 (max 40kg). Workout knees-to-elbows as a pair wod.



I was a bit afraid how quickly I could recover from yesterday's game. In the evening I drove directly to the "box" and did a 45min skills training workout after the game. Then home, slept for less than 6 hours and drove back to the box. Anyway, my mindset has been good towards these early morning training sessions for a long time and I'm eagerly waking up in the morning as I know it's time to do some workouts. Today was no exception, I felt some fatigue in my hamstrings in the beginning but once I got it going it was no issue anymore. We took back squats, I took sets of 5 reps, Toni went for 3 reps.

Strength. Back squats (100+100+105+110+115+115kg), overhead squats 4x5 (20+30+35+40kg). Squatting felt good and I quickly moved forward to +100kg weights. I had decided early on to go for 5 rep sets as lately I've done sets of 3 reps. I was very happy for today's mood and how well I got the kilos up. I took two sets of 100kg, then adding 5kg after each set. The first time I put 115kg on, I got 4 reps as the fifth one stuck to the bottom. I collected my anger, let Toni do his set and then pushed another set of 5 reps of 115kg up. My max set of 3 is currently 117,5kg (last week) so doing sets of 5 with 115kg pleased me a lot. And there were 29 reps in total of +100kg. Good one!

Toni's sets were 3 rep sets of 80+90+100+105kg and single rep of 107.5kg, which is his current PR. We talked that he will go for higher amount of reps next time with squats as he's done mostly 1/2/3 rep sets by far. He's found the technique, now he's going to put focus on doing higher amount of repetitions  with tougher kilos to get some mustard in hamstrings. Toni's upper body is proportionately bigger and stronger compared to lower body. There you will also find his strong areas



Overhead squats were the other part of my strength training. I'm learning the basics of this movement with rather light kilos at the moment. I haven't gone over 40kg by far. Today I also put that amount of plates in the barbell. At some points the form is a bit shaky so I don't want to add more weights before I master the technique. Doing sets of 5 reps holding a bar with plates on it over your head gives some pressure in your arms and shoulders. It's not that heavy for quads and hamstrings but mostly to upper body. I don't know what the feeling is once you put +60kg. I snatched the bar from the starting position every time to get some practice in there as well. I've taken these two (snatch & ohs) to my regular selection of strength exercises so my body will get used to them and be natural by doing them.


Workout. Pair wod with Toni. 5min amrap of knees-to-elbows. Total of 65 reps.
  • For the first 5 rounds
  • Don 5 reps
  • Toni 3 reps
  • For the rest of the workout (8 rounds)
  • Don 5 reps
  • Toni 2 reps
This was easier one to the end. Not a real metcon where the heart is about to burst into flames but taking this one more as an active recovery and keeping body and nervous system familiar with K2Es. We decided to do 5min am rap together as a team. I started, took 5 reps, then switch and Toni did 3 reps. After he is done, I take control again. For the first 5 rounds Toni did 3 reps, after that 2 reps each round. I went for 5 reps each round. We had time to do 13 rounds total so there were 65 K2Es in total for me this time.

Between this workout and back squats Toni took a short metcon by doing

  • 15 dips
  • 50 sit-ups
  • 10 dips
  • 35 sit-ups
  • 5 dips
  • 20 sit-ups


No comments:

Post a Comment