Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday 7.10: Hero wod Adrian

Sunday. Hero workout Adrian. Time 14.37. Mobility afterwards. Floorball in the morning.

In the morning we had floorball training with my sports team for 1.5 hours. Before that I was watching my little bro's game, they beat the other team 8-2 and he shined at the field, well done! Anyway, we had planned to do Adrian with my big bro, Sipa, but we had some schedule problems so we had to call the plans off. He took five rounds of Adrian by himself and I headed home to eat and recover from team training. Toni was supposed to have a day off but after same persuasion, he finally took the bait and we agreed to meet at the "box" where we tend to hang around every day.

Wall climbs

Adrian. Time 14.37
  • 7 rounds of:
  • 3 rollovers
  • 5 wall climbs
  • 7 K2E (should be T2B)
  • 9 box jumps

What does a hero wod actually mean? They are workouts that are made in honor of soldiers who have served their country and were killed in line of duty. Crossfitters forget the pain during the workout and continue to the end vigorously in honor of these people. Adrian's workout is based on this:

U.S. Army Sergeant First Class Adrian Elizalde, 30, of North Bend, Oregon, assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), based in Fort Lewis, Washington, died on August 23, 2007, in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds sustained from an improvised explosive device. He is survived by his parents, Jorge and Teresa Elizalde, sister Rachel, and daughter Sydney Grace.

I modified the toes-to-bars to knees-to-elbows because the pull-up bar rack is so close to the wall that there's not enough space between the wall and the bar. This time I wanted to jump to a higher box, I don't know what the height was but I put 15kg plates under the bench onto which I was jumping. However, this workout was all about wall climbs, they were insane!

Rollovers basically just make your head spin around for a while, especially if you're not used to them. I've done them last time when I was a little kiddo. I found a rather smooth style to complete them, surprisingly. Three of them wasn't bad physically. The idea of a wall climb is to lay face to the floor, heels against the wall. From there, you start pushing your heels up the wall until your chest touches the wall. This wasn't the most familiar movement to me so for the sake of safety I didn't push my chest entirely to the wall. This movement really gets to your shoulders, damned it was rough in the last 2-3 rounds. In the beginning I was able to do them unbroken but the last rounds something like 3+2 and 2+2+1.


Clip of Adrian

All sets of K2Es were done unbroken. My transition times were not the fastest but that was my original plan from the very beginning. I've never done Adrian before but all hero wods are nasty and long in nature so I realized that it would be stupid to rush in the beginning. That's why I took transitions as my short rest periods. Then do sets unbroken. I figured this would be the ideal way of performing this workout. And my plan held till the end nicely. All but wall climbs went unbroken. Box jumps weren't any issue, even with the plates under the bench. I'm really waiting for that Rogue 24 inch box to be delivered to the gym so that I can really get my legs burning with box jumps.

I was thinking beforehand what is the movement in this workout that is going to make me sob. My bro warned me about the climbs and he had it right. Climbing up the wall hit the shoulders and it also got my heart. My respiration went faster every round I was pushing myself up. Doing this for over 14 minutes did have an effect in my breathing. I enjoyed Adrian a lot. It was a different type of exercise in which you can put "all in". I was also happy with my time as I was able to do all other movements unbroken but the climbs. This resulted in quite a good time I suppose? At least I'm satisfied with my effort. This workout was at the main site September 23rd, those crossfitters' times were between 12.46 - 29.55, most of them over 20 minutes. Compared to that I'm very pleased :)

Rollovers

Toni's wod. Toni didn't go after Adrian, too many unfamiliar movements so he did another one. Time 10.53.
  • 21-15-9
  • Thrusters (35kg)
  • Burpees
Toni couldn't speak in the following few minutes after the metcon. Actually I had to get him a trash bin during the last round of the metcon 'cause he was about to throw up. After the workout, he was gone. I had to pour some water on his head as he had really given his everyhing. No need to be scared, he's ok but he was trashed from this wod =) His thrusters rolled well for the first 15 reps. Then the following 6 he took in two sets. 21 burpees unbroken. The second round brought fatigue. Those 15 thrusters came up in 5 sets of 3 reps. Burpees unbroken, pace slowing down. Last set of thrusters speeded up a bit, then slowed down, ending in 4-3-2 reps.

Toni's burpees

I was trying to do some mental job with him in the last round. He did his best burpees of the workout in the final round. His pace was much faster than in the first or second round. His final time was 10.53. Today Toni went to the battle field and came back as a winner!

Toni, I still have to thank you for your yesterday's help in my Filthy Fifty's burpees. Can you imagine, he was doing my last 10 burpees with me, which forced me to keep up a good pace with them. The only thought in my head that time was to keep up with him. Awesome inspiration man!!!

At the end Toni took some ring skills and we also witnessed his first full range motion of a ring dip, c'mon! The training session started with rowing and double under skills training.

Toni's ring dip

Here's some mobility workout tips by K-Starr from mobilitywod. He is awesome, I've paid a lot of attention to his tips in the recent weeks. It doesn't take much time and effort but it's very important to take care of the body as I tend to put it work quite a lot. 1-2 trainings a day requires me to do some body maintenance as well, naturally.


No comments:

Post a Comment