Saturday, October 20, 2012

Saturday 20.10: Rowing, cleans and metcon

Saturday. Row 1.000m, time 3.29. 5 sets of power clean (PR 70kg). Metcon 10min amrap of cleans, burpees and double unders: 241 reps.



The day started with rowing for one kilometer for time. My strength workout concentrated purely on cleans, today I hit my new record, 70kg. Grande Finale was a 10min amrap of cleans, burpees and double unders. I made it just under 6 rounds.

Row. Time 3.29. The pace remained the same throughout the workout: 1.44-1.45 / 500m. I sat on the rower right after coming to the gym, I wasn't supposed to time it but rowing felt so good that I decided to put on some speed and go for 1k. In general, I think I should row more and further distances, especially for warm-up. I usually take 500 meters for starters, why not upgrade it to 1k and go for 2k once in a while? I took some more warm-up by squatting, pull-ups, push-ups, stretching, 20kg bear complex and such before continuing to cleans.



Strength. Power clean 3x60, 3x65, 3x67,5, 1x70 (PR), 1x70kg. Nice! I took some power cleans and squat cleans with 40 and 50kg to get used to these movements. I haven't taken squat cleans for a while, current trend for me is to perform power cleans. I took sets of 3 reps with 60 and 65kg and with my standing PR 67.5kg. Naturally I had to upgrade it as I was able to take all three reps up. New record, 70kg, was done. However, I managed to take only single rep, the second attempt failed. I rested for 1-2 minutes, reattempted and took one single rep again. I'm happy I was able to break the record.



Metcon. I did 5 rounds, 6 cleans, 6 burpees and 49 DUs. Total of 21 cleans and burpees, 199 DUs.

  • 10min amrap:
  • 1 power clean, 1 burpee, 10 du
  • 2 power clean, 2 burpees, 20 du
  • 3 power clean, 3 burpees, 30 du...


This was a tough one for me. I intentionally put 60kg on the bar, which is heavy for me (compare to my 70kg max from today). I was so gassed after the workout, it took several minutes to catch my breath. All these movements hit metabolic conditioning. I would have been even more smashed if I got my double unders roll well. I had some troubles with them. At some points I took 25 in a row, at some points I managed to go for 3 reps. There wasn't that stability today with them for some reason. Especially at those early rounds (1-3) I had troubles with them. Later on they started to go well.

Cleans were tough! There were a total of 21 reps of cleans, 21 reps of burpees and 199 reps of double unders. I did cleans unbroken up to 4 rounds, the last two rounds were broken to two sets in both rounds. Burpees were naturally quite easy at this workout. I recommend this workout. If you want to upgrade it, substitute burpees to burpee pull-ups and cleans can be spiced up by clean & jerks.


7 comments:

  1. I have to do this workout. Maybe tomorrow! That clean PR was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! Hey Toni, I found a new spot where we should definitely go and train something different. There's a military type of obstacle course in Kivikko, close to both of our places. Another spot for outdoor training is in Herttoniemi, not bad either. I think I'll go and check those out to see if we could make something happen there. I'm already thinking about the venue for HC triplet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I bought the "wall ball" (=basketball) today, which we must fill with sand, let's hope we'll make it to 9-10 kilos. Then we must go after Karen another time and utilize the ball in our workouts as well. Let's see if we can create a sand bag as well from somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you are going to arrange HC triplet? Keep me informed because I want to join if it's okay for you guys....

    Anyway your rowing is at very good level. You metabolic condition is amazing!! I would say that it's on necessary level if you are thinking CF games:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I think HC Triplet will take place in November. We are now planning the workouts, we've got some awesome ideas, it is in fact going to be a hardcore day, to say the least... We have acquired some new equipment to be used as well. And yes, you are welcome to test human's limits :) I'll keep you guys informed when it's going to take place and where.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today (sunday) I had some cleans and bench press (3*3*3*3*3). Today max in cleans was 70kg and bench press was 85 kg. I also had a metcon with 21-15-9 push press/burbee. Time was 7.53 (last time I did it in 10.02). Now my shoulders are a bit numb :-). Tomorrow =PR in squats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge improvement in time!?! That's two minutes man, was your burpee technique different (old school style) the previous time you did it? I think Toni we should sometimes take that Mikko Salo's push press workout, you remember? I've done it only once and you've done it twice I guess.
    2 minute amrap
    2minute rest
    3 rounds

    Let's do some squats tomorrow. I hope my legs have recovered by then, they were cramping a bit in my evening skills training because of the game. I'll eat like a pig and stretch, hope that helps =)

    ReplyDelete