Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday 11.1: Shoulder press, front squat, metcon

Friday. Shoulder press 5-5-3 (max 60kg). Front squat 5-5-5-2-1 (max PR 125kg). Metcon of walking lunges and ring push-ups.

I wasn't sure what to do when I entered the Box today. I've been squatting and deadlifting for quite a while and haven't been able to do much work with my cleans, jerks and snatches. At least not as much as I'd like to and there's a reason for that. Today I decided to give it a shot with shoulder press, then continued to PR my front squat, yammy! Then a short metcon in the end. Toni did something new in his category, snatches with weights, not only technical training this time. Plus a short workout for quality.

Walking lunges

Strength. Shoulder press 5-5-3 (50, 55, 60kg). Front squat 5-5-5-2-1 (80, 100, 110, 120, PR 125kg).

I entered my training with shoulder press, going up to 60kg. Then I understood my elbows are not not in their best shape and changed to front squat. Elbows were in the verge of getting hammered with pain so I stopped early and prevented further damages. Huh, front squats were easy today! My mid core is rather strong and I'm able to maintain good form with heavier weights as well. I began with 80kg, next 100, added 10kg and was still lifting 5-rep sets. Soon I was ready for my old record (120kg), which I took up twice today. I was mentally forced to add plates to the bar, 125kg, down and up, new PR, c'mon! I was tempted to go for 130kg but it was not a stable attempt and failed. I'm extremely happy with my lifts today.

Front squat 125kg, PR

Metcon. For cooling down, for quality.
  • 3 rounds of
  • 20 walking lunges, 2x25kg dumbbells
  • 10 ring push-ups
This was a quick play to the end. Lunges and ring push-ups. For some reason I haven't done ring push-ups nor regular push-ups for a while. They are awesome and should be in programming constantly. In autumn I did them way more. This little fun wasn't tough, okay holding the grip was difficult with the dumbbells but other than that, it wasn't bad.

Ring push-ups

Toni's workouts. Snatches 5-5-5 (30, 35, PR 40kg). He also did some tens of different type of push-ups, dips and pull-ups.

Toni's snatches
Today's main focus for Toni was snatches. He hasn't done them with a bar that has plates on it. By far it's been purely technique training so it was about time to hit it. And hey, his squat snatches look very natural. The mobility he has been able to create is something I envy. For future development, he should create more speed through hip explosiveness. Otherwise it's difficult to add weights. Anyway, I'm sure he's gonna lift 50+ weights soon.

1 comment:

  1. history was made! This is a good start. Just have to work with that speed and then I will reach my goal which is 60 kg

    ReplyDelete