Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday 7.1: Snatches

Monday. Snatch workout, mostly with 40kg bar.

Today's programme consisted on one of the main four ingridients to my development, snatches. For starters I warmed up my legs, shoulders and back to be fully ready for the workout. I took some empty bar snatches to remind myself of the tracks the bar should bounce up to the sky. Toni was with me to do a metcon.


Workout of the day. 6 sets (30, 35. 40, 40, 40, 40kg)
  • 6 cycles of:
  • 3 snatch grip deadlift
  • 3 snatch high-pull
  • 3 power snatches
  • 3 overhead squats
  • 1 squat snatch
Interesting set of snatch movements. First deadlifting the bar, secondly pulling it to chin level with a bounce and then three power snatches followed by overhead squats and finally the most difficult movement to me, squat snatch which I had to do every time with a power snatch and overhead squat. I found out that when I do my overhead squats, I must pay a lot of attention to the position how my shoulders are externally rotated and armpits directed straigth forward. If I don't think about my form at all, my armpits tend to bend inwards and thus it's very difficult to go down. When I go down in that form, the bar leans forward and it's impossible to hold on to it. Luckily I found a way to get down. Together with Toni we must take more overhead squats in to play to get comfortable with the movement.



Back to this workout. I took sets of 30 and 35kg. Once I got to the 40kg, the first set collapsed on the second overhead squat, the second set on the last ohs and the third one on the last rep, squat snatch. I had to go for a sixth cycle, which I nailed perfectly! Well, perfectly is a bit overexaggarated but I nailed it anyway =)

Toni's workout. 2 rounds and 2 back squats.
  • 9 min amrap of
  • 30 double unders
  • 15 burpees
  • 9 back squats, 70kg
He managed to close two rounds and 2 back squats. That means a total of 90 DU, 45 burpees and 20 back squats. He had a 70kg weight on the barbell.



2 comments:

  1. This really made my legs burn. Maybe I was a bit disappointed about the result but on the other hand I can't remember doing 9 reps in a row with that "much" weight in squats

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking you doing high rep heavy barbell squats. This type of workouts are probably exactly what you need for enhanced muscle endurance and metabolic conditioning. The length of the workout might be longer, I guess

    ReplyDelete