Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesday 8.1: Back squat, interval cycling

Tuesday. Back squats 5-5-5-3 (+f). Metcon, stationary cycling, 30sec on, 30sec off, for 15minutes.

Alright, ready for back squats while Toni's thoughts were on deadlifts. Another workout for the day was meant to be interval rowing which I subbed because the rower was occupied by someone else. Anyway, I was able to put my legs and respiration to test today.



Strength.Back squats 5-5-5-3-f (100, 110, 120, 130, 135). I enjoyed this morning's training a lot. Squats are simply my favorites, luckily it's one of the most important strength movements. You need your legs all the time in all movements, you better have strength in there. Well, I wanted to take longer rep-sets today with heavy weights. Hundred kilos come up and down easily but it's a good starting point to shoot up. At 120kg I know it goes down and up anyday but it was awesome to see I can pop it 5 times in a row. Going for 5 reps is heavy, at least the last reps are tough. I added 10kg to the load and it was heavy man. I pushed 3 reps with pure psyche. I tried 135 - my current PR - but it didn't come up just like that. It was close though…

Back squats, 130kg

Metcon.
  • Stationary cycling
  • 30sec on, 30sec off, for 15minutes
This was not a bad trade at all. I haven't used stationary bikes almost at all, maybe sometimes in the past for warming up but it turned out to be quite a leg burner. After 5 minutes my quads and hamstrings understood the point of the workout as the last 10 seconds each round were tough. I liked this one, no doubt about it. No matter if it's rowing, running or biking, interval workouts are effective.

Toni's workouts. Deadlifts and squat snatches
Deadlifts 5-5-5-5-5 (110, 115, 120, 125, 130kg)
Squat snatches 5-5-5 (technique training with empty barbell)

Deadlift, Toni, 120kg

Toni's focus was on 5-rep sets of deadlifts. This is part of a bigger plan of his. Toni has been doing sets of mostly 3 reps for a long time so through extending it with 2 reps is a remarkable change. He took 5 sets between 110 and 130kg, all fives. It was also cool to see this dude doing snatches! I don't recall him doing them almost at all. This day was more like a technique training and getting familiar with the movement. The overhead squat part of it looked natural.

Snatch technique training, Toni

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to write I took some weighted lunges with 50 & 60kg, sets of 8-10 reps, alternating legs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon you will seriously have to stop squatting since your ass won't fit into any jeans you have... I'm serious.

    Actually I don't know if I should laugh or be a little bit worried?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha =) Then you have some more of me to love!

    ReplyDelete