Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Wednesday 2.1: Metcon of cleans, front squats and push jerks

Wednesday. Metcon of cleans, front squats and push jerks. Inspired by hero wod Hammer

Toni is on a holiday but still met me at the Box today for a tough metcon that was ahead of us. We didn't take a strength workout for starters because we knew this one would be a killer. And it perfectly follows the guidelines I wrote yesterday: "muscle durability with heavier weights". I believe this was a good lesson for Toni as well.


Metcon. "Hammer".

  • 5 rounds of
  • 5 clean, 60kg
  • 10 front squats, 60kg
  • 5 push jerks, 60kg

This workout was inspired by hero wod Hammer. The only difference was that we skipped the 20 pull-ups that were supposed to be done after push jerks each round. Rather heavy barbell for us, 20 reps each round with 60kg isn't easy. Total of 100 reps with that specific bar. I don't know how much the total time was as we did this workout in turns, I only timed the lap times for both of us. I completed my first round, then Toni did his first and we moved on to the second round etc, did every round in turns.

For the first round I went unbroken but on the second round the disbelief crawled in. I thought this workout would take me down eventually. As I moved on rep after rep the light came back and I understood this is as tough a mental game as always and I'm going to beat the discomfort at some point. The last two rounds are usually easier because you know you are about to reach your goal.

My cleans came up well today. Front squats were unbroken as well but I had to stop and breathe once in a while from the second round on. After squats I took 0-2 reps of push jerks for the last 4 rounds before I had to drop the bar. The push jerks were very tough for me. I've usually done those shoulder strength moves as presses (shoulder press / push press with heavier weights) but today I tried to do push jerks. My shoulders and arms were in fire and it was extremely tough towards the end. All in all, this training session worked well for the purpose it was planned for. I'm very happy to the workout itself.

Don's round times

  • 1.11
  • 1.38
  • 1.47
  • 1.43
  • 1.57

Tony's round times

  • 1.34
  • 2.28
  • 3.17
  • 3.47
  • 3.37

Toni, what do you think about the workout?

Straight from the Box I went to my floorball training for 2 hours. We also did some mobility at the end with Toni.

1 comment:

  1. This was a nasty one. Propably the most nastiest workout ever. I was totally wasted after the wod. Cleans were not that bad but those front squats almost made me faint. After first round I wanted to say that maybe we should do only three round but now I'm happy that I kept my mouth shut

    ReplyDelete