Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday 22.1: Metcon of db snatches, ring dips + Tabata

Tuesday. Metcon of dumbbell snatches and ring push-ups.

This morning training consisted of a metcon. Simple and beautiful. Toni took clean & jerk strength training in the beginning and then continued with a 12min amrap. In the evening I continued with Pauliina for a 1h walk in the crispy winter Helsinki and for dessert some Tabata training =)

Ring push-ups, Toni

Metcon.
  • 5 rounds of
  • 10 dumbbell snatches, right arm, 15kg
  • 10 dumbbell snatches, left arm, 15kg
  • 10 ring push-ups
Actually, it was the first time I did dumbbell or kettlebell snatches and I felt it immediately, got to do this more, just add some weights. I would have liked to do these squat versions but I realized my mobility was an issue, same as with regular bar snatches. My hands either tempt to lean too forward or then I have troubles going deep enough. Better take snatches with low weights in to my warm-up selection to get my body used to this type of movement.

Back to the metcon. There were a total of 50 reps each, 10 reps per round. It was a good set of repetitions to go unbroken. I'd like to see how the game would change if I had 20-25kg db's instead. Everything went unbroken without breaks throughout the workout, I also minimized the transitions between movements. I didn't put my clock running. It's very beneficial to work with kb's and db's as it's totally different compared to barbell work, the weights tend to wiggle more in this version.

Tabata. One hour brisk walk for warming up and then continued with Pauliina for Tabata training. We took sets of the following:

  • Air squats
  • V-ups
  • Push-ups
It was awesome to walk around Helsinki's beautiful surroundings in a good wintery weather! Thanks honey for the quality time =) After the walk, put the sauna on, do three sets of Tabata training, squats, mid core through V-ups and finally push-ups. I didn't push through like a maniac, squats were around 16 reps per round, V-ups between 10-14 reps and push-ups 12 reps per round. The point of Tabata training is to do 8 x (20sec work, 10sec rest per round) for each movement. First 8 sets of squats, then abs, finally push-ups. It's rewarding to have a sauna afterwards, c'mon!


Overhead squats, Toni

Toni's workouts.
Clean & jerk 5-3-4-3
Metcon. 6 rounds + 1 ohs
  • 12 min amrap
  • 5 overhead squats, 30kg
  • 10 ring push-ups
  • 5 knees-to-elbows
He really had a good pace and didn't rest in vain. Nice job Toni!

1 comment:

  1. Now thinking I'm happy about my result. This was my first time with overhead squats in metcon and I'm definitely going to work on those. For some reason OHS is very natural movement for me. Lately there has been several good workouts. Tomorrow is a rest day

    ReplyDelete