Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday 10.1: Box jumps, metcon

Thursday. Box jumps (high) 6x5. Metcon of kettlebell swings and double unders.

This session was a different type of training. For starters I took a few sets of 25 double unders, got my blood running, took some pvc pipe playing a bit here and there, stretching, box jumps and kettlebell swings. My goal today was to add weight plates on top of the Rogue box to add height to my jumps and then do a metcon with my new kettlebell. Toni focused on front squats plus a metcon.


Box jumps. 6x5. The purpose of this workout was to add explosiveness to my hips and legs. I've taken a lot of strength training lately and wanted also to give a break from hard core strength training. I didn't measure the height of the jumps but the actual box is 64cm (24') plus 8 plates (20-25kg). I'd say that's about 110cm. I once measured those 20 plates, they were 5cm each. Those red ones (25kg) are thicker so it's around that 110cm. There was still some loose air between me and the box so I'll add height next time I go for this workout. This was kinda the first excursion to the world of high box jumps. I really hope this type of training would increase the explosiveness and speed in my hips.

Box jumps, 6 plates

Metcon. I didn't time this. The question is why? I don't know

  • 3 rounds of
  • 20 kettlebell american swings, 32kg
  • 20 double unders

This was a quick and tough one. American swings mean you bring the ball all the way over your head so that your biceps are at the same level as your ears. I wasn't sure how many reps I could do these  swings in a row. On the 20th December I did a metcon of 32kg swings and box jumps. That was a killer as well. I was able to go unbroken all the way to the last round of kettlebells. There I had to break it into 2x10 reps. Other than that, entire workout unbroken. I believe I should utilize my kettlebells more in my training. There's only the minor problem of carrying them with me all around. Still, every time I've been doing metcons with them, I've felt pure joy =) It's always a misery but still some sort of sick victorious feeling.

In the evening I had floorball training for 2h

Toni's workouts. Strength front squats and a 5 round metcon.
Front squats 3-3-3-1 (70, 80, 90, 95). he also tried a new record of 100kg but today was not the day.
Metcon. Time 12.30

  • 5 rounds for time of
  • 5 clean and jerk, 60kg
  • 5 box jumps
  • 5 handstand push-up
I had to leave before Toni began his metcon so I must ask was your handstand push-ups against the foam roll? And did I write your metcon correctly? =)



3 comments:

  1. Yes, I used foam roll. This exercise was nice but maybe next time I will do 10 box jumps. C & J and hspu is a nice combo :-).

    Tomorrow is a big day. For the first time I'm going to snatch some serious kilos :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, those jumbs were totally crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I bet they create a nice combination!

    I believe those box jumps are good practice for you as well. How did you feel about your squats, you were close to your PR?

    ReplyDelete