Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday 21.1: Back squats and metcon

Monday. Back squats 5-5-5-5-5-3 (max 130kg). Metcon of step-ups, hspu and burpees.

Squat day! I love 'em =) My legs were a bit shattered from yesterday's Fight Gone Bad but after some double unders and warm-up I was ready to pump it. My theme for the following weeks is to get my breath going and increase my metabolic conditioning so I finished the morning workout with a metcon, consisting of leg work, hspu and some classic stuff: burpees. Toni completed pretty much the same workouts. Awesome training day!

Step-ups, Toni

Strength. 5-5-5-5-5-3 (100, 110, 120, 125, 125, 130kg). Sets of 5, starting from 100kg, going up to 125kg with fives. I took another set of 125kg because I knew that's pretty much the limit for fives. So I was able to complete 5x5 back squats. For some extra work I took 130kg as many reps as possible. Today it was 3 times down and up.

Metcon. Time around 11.30.
  • 4 rounds of
  • 10 step-ups, 80kg, 5 both legs
  • 3 handstand push-ups
  • 15 burpees
Step-ups are very efficient way of torturing your hamstrings and quads. Going for 10 reps each round is a good number of reps and 80kg seems to work for me pretty well. I'd like to test 100kg but I'm a bit nervous about piling that much load in case I land down in a not-perfect position and something bad would happen. Handstand push-ups seem to be my "goat". I'm having troubles finding enough strength in my triceps to push myself up effectively. I guess kipping would improve my hspu's remarkably. Burpees: you gotta love them and hate them. They get the blood and breathing flowing vigorously but it really feels awesome as you're able to go unbroken for several rounds. I'm definitely going to include these nasty ones in my training programme constantly.

Pony
Toni's workouts.
Back squats 5-5-3-2 (100, 105, 110, 110)

Metcon was similar as mine. He scaled step-ups to 60kg and foam rolled the handstand push-ups. Time was also around 11.30. We had a good rhytm going on as we did it together. There was a good rotation as I started and Toni followed right behind me.
  • 4 rounds of
  • 10 step-ups, 60kg, 5 both legs
  • 3 handstand push-ups
  • 15 burpees

1 comment:

  1. There was a 2 hour floorball training in the evening as well. We did around 20min leg work with stairs before the actual training began. Up and down the stairs we went... :)

    ReplyDelete