Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday 13.1: Bench press, snatches

Sunday. Bench press 5-5-3-2. Another workout for snatches.

Today's agenda was supposed to be an easier one. I ended up doing bench presses and a workout of snatches with rather high amount of reps. Also overhead squats were vital part of the programming for today. Mobility in the end with Pauliina. Toni went to the gym in the evening.

Strength. 5-5-3-2 (65, 75 80, 85kg). My goal was to hit 90kg, which would be a new record for me, currently I'm 2.5kg short of that. Now as I think about it, previous time I did bench press as strength training was in Sweden in the end of November. I've done bench twice after that, in a workout called Linda 8th December to celebrate my little sister's birthday and on 5th December in a workout consisting of deadlift and bench. I guess I've kind of forgotten to do that. Better improve on that section 'cause the numbers are not going up by themselves.


Today I reached 85kg which came up twice so I decided to add 5kg and hit a new PR. I tried it twice and failed on both of them. Even though bench isn't one of my favorites I'd better push 100kg up during this year, no doubt about it. Im not gonna put all of my concentration on this one but definitely going to do more in the future.

Workout. Snatch workout for quality.

  • Every minute on the minute (EMOM) for 15min
  • 2-position power snatch (from ground + from knee-level) + 2 overhead squats
  • 40kg on the barbell



Alright, I simply love snatches! This was a good workout, total of 30 reps with 40kg allowed me to focus on the technique as well. I just need a lot of repetition for this movement because it's technically demanding one and deserves a lot of focus on each lift. In this workout I was supposed to do 2 power snatches (one starting from the ground and the second starting from knee level, a.k.a hang snatch), followed by 2 overhead squats. Continuing this 4 rep-set for 15 minutes, every minute is similar. Total of 15 power snatches from ground, 15 hang power snatches and 30 overhead squats. I really needed these movements. I'm having troubles completing squat snatches properly so I solved the problem by practicing both snatches and ohs. I kept 40kg on the bar during the whole workout.



My plan was to go for 12 minutes but I enjoyed it so tremendously that I did 3 extra rounds =) I had no troubles going unbroken in this workout but it was heavy towards the end. Some day I believe I should try out my max snatch. Currently it stands at 45kg. To go over that, I should be able to bend my knees more and squat while snatching. I'm able to lift the bar high enough but I'm not utilizing gravity enough while going under the bar.


To the end we took some mobility, foam rolling and stretching for a while.

Toni's workouts. Bench press and rowing.

  • Bench press 3-3-3-f-1-f-f (80, 85, 90, 95, 95, 97.5, 97.5kg)
  • Row 1k for time. 3.18.8


Wow, that row time for 1k is simply phenomenal! My record is 3.22 so I must admit, these are sick numbers man =) Bench press went in 3-rep sets up to 90kg, then a fail at 95kg, a successful 95kg and two attempts at 97.5kg.

1.000m row, Toni

1 comment:

  1. This was a sick one. I almost stopped at 700 meters but thanks to Metallica I was able to hit a new PR. My last result was 3.26 so I have to say that this was a nice result. Now I can honestly say that I did my best

    ReplyDelete