Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saturday 26.1: Squat metcon, Finnish CF final 2012, Karhureiret

Saturday. Finnish Crossfit Final 2012: Karhureiret. Time 12.22.

What is a better way to launch the weekend on Saturday morning than giving your everything at the Box and let crossfit suck all energy out of you =) With Toni we decided to step it up a notch and do a workout that was in the crossfit finals in Finland 2012. The workout is called Karhureiret, or "Bear's thighs". A lot of squatting took place today spiced up with kb, boxes and T2Bs. Pauliina joined our training session.



For starters we took some handstand push-up training. My focus was purely on the kipping style. I haven't been able to do them efficiently this far but today I found out how they should be done. And all of a sudden, the movement was way easier. I'm very happy about this one!!!

Kipping handstand push-ups

Karhureiret. Time 12.22

  • 10 back squats, 100kg
  • 50 kettlebell swings, 32kg
  • 20 front squats, 80kg
  • 40 box jumps, 64cm
  • 30 overhead squats, 20kg
  • 30 toes-to-bar

All but box jumps and overhead squats were rx'd. In the original version box height should be only 50cm, we used the official 64cm. Then overhead squats should be 60kg but hey c'mon, I've never put over 40kg in this movement. I used only the bar which happened to be too light.

What a workout, I enjoyed it! 10 back squat for starters gets the blood flowing nicely. Moving on to 50 kettlebell swings, by the way I've never done that many with 32kg. I divided it into 2 x 25 reps, I was surprised how "easily" I was able to move the weight. I've taken it as a standard to do kb swings american style which means the kettlebell must go overhead to reach full range of motion. 20 reps of front squats turned out to be demanding. I did them in sets of 5 reps.

Box jumps


After quite a lot of reps at this stage it was no surprise box jumps wouldn't go unbroken. I took them with a steady pace, locking my hips at the top, then dropping down and jumping right back. If I needed rest, I stayed at the top for a while, no need to rest at the bottom, that's not beneficial in a metcon. The only thing that made me think what I could have done differently in the workout, is the weights in the overhead squats. I usually have troubles going deep enough in OHS and it's difficult to put weights on the barbell. I haven't done them that much anyway. For some reason, at this point in the workout my hips were loose in a good sense and I was able to lower my body well and I don't think it would have been a problem to add weights. It was too easy I believe. It's been a while since last toes-to-bars took place. I nailed them pretty efficiently. Ten plus ten and then some smaller pieces.

All in all, I think my hamstrings and quads are thanking me afterwards for giving such a pressure on them today. It was rough but manageable all the time. The workout reveals my weakness, which is definitely OHS. Must pay attention to mobility and this movement more. How to find time for everything, that's the key issue. Final time today, 12.22.


Time!

Toni's Karhureiret. Time 24.01

  • 10 back squats, 80kg
  • 50 kettlebell swings, 32kg
  • 20 front squats, 60kg
  • 40 box jumps, 64cm
  • 30 overhead squats, 30kg
  • 30 toes-to-bar


Toni smashed the plates =)

Toni did the same workouts. He started with handstand push-up training after warm-up, then Karhureiret was ahead of him as well. He modified the weights in back squats to 80kg, front squat to 60kg and overhead squats to 30kg. The other movements rx'd.

Toni's front squats

He stayed with the same pace with me through back squats and maybe kettlebells as well. This was the first time he threw 32kg around so completing 20+15+15 sets was awesome! I remember times he had troubles swinging 20kg kettlebell. Tony has done some tremendous development in the last 1-2 months. Front squats he completed in sets of 5 reps. From box jumps on he had to catch some breath once in a while which slowed him down a bit. Doing 30 toes-to-bar (once again, he haven't done these) in the end, that was time for some high fives =) Final time 24.01.
Karhureiret sucked our energy big time

3 comments:

  1. Maybe someday I'm ready to do this RX. I really liked this workout. Like Don said it was my first time with 32kg Kb and now I have no reason to go back under that weight. Also first time with t2e (not last).

    This was probably the best CF week ever. Constant variety was the key to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hulluja jätkiä!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the way your program looked this week Pony. Strength, metabolic conditioning, new movements, rowing, snatches, clean & jerks, squats, deadlift, handstand push-ups, dips, double unders, pretty much everything. In two words: constant variety!

    I also consider this week very successful. We did many workouts identically and many movements were covered in one week time. I paid more attention to metabolic conditioning through good metcons. Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete