Friday, February 13, 2015

Friday 13.2: OHS, 10min amrap

Friday. Strength, Ohs 5x3 (max 72.5kg). Metcon, 10min amrap of: 5 hang squat snatch (40kg), 10 box, 15 hr push-ups. Result, 157 reps.

Friday the 13th. Still, it was a great session at the gym! Working on my snatch once again, gonna get that shit together in the long run. And today was a good step towards that direction. Then the metcon was written by my main man Toni. I asked for a metcon that includes squat snatches. He said it's easy, took him about 15 seconds to come up with the workout of the day. Thanks for that mister.



Strength.

  • Overhead squat 3-3-3-3-3 (60, 65, 70, 72.5, 70kg)

Definitely a weakness of mine. The weights I'm able to throw around are baby weights. 1RM is 85kg the last time I maxed out some time last year. Haven't practiced this noble movement that much but it's on my list of goats to be mastered this year. And this went pretty well today in my opinion. I went way below parallel on these sets because I believe that is as beneficial as in all type of squats. Try to hit the bottom if mobility allows that.

First 2 sets went greatly. The first set at 70kg leaned too much in front on the first rep and I had to let it go. Cleaned it back to the rack, got myself together and attempted it again, and finished with a successful triple at 70kg. Decided to add 2.5kg and got it up too. It was a bit too shaky so I came back to 70kg for the last one. Felt very good to do overhead squats with a bit heavier weights.



Metcon. Result, 157 reps (5 rounds + 2 box)

  • 10min amrap of:
  • 5 hang squat snatch, 40kg
  • 10 box jump
  • 15 hand release push-ups

So this was a peak into Toni's mind. I had to stop after each snatch, think about the starting position again before pulling myself under the bar. Still, I got each round unbroken without misses. That wasn't obvious because I had my nanos on, which makes it a notch more difficult for me with this mobility. It's getting better though and these felt rather good all the way. Better with weightlifting shoes but doable with nanos.



Box jumps are my thing. This was not that bad portion, easiest of the three for me. Push-ups are a rarity so this was welcomed with a pleasure. Toni wanted to make those hand release versions which suited me perfectly. I did the first round unbroken, then the rest were 10-5. Got time to hit the 6th round of snatches and 2 box jumps in the remaining 6 seconds after I dropped the barbell.

This was a good metcon. Maybe with these kind of elements it would have suited better for me as a longer workout. In a 10min metcon the intensity should be quite high. And it was but I had to take some breaks because I didn't want to drop the barbell and wanted to make sure I get to squat snatch position. Doing this too hastily would have resulted in awkward looking positions down in the squat snatches.





1 comment: