Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday 21.2: Long emom workout

Saturday. Emom x 32 min: 1st min: 150m row, 2nd min: 6 ohs (42.5kg), 3rd min: 12 pistols, 4th min: 12 kb swing (32kg).

Saturday. That meant a long workout, with lower intensity than normally. It also meant honing over weaknesses. Got in a very good workout for the goals I was after. Just warming up, then let the timer do its work. Not much I have to think, just do the written movements and enjoy the moment.



Workout.

  • Every minute on the minute, for 32 minutes
  • 1st minute: 150m row
  • 2nd minute: 6 overhead squat, 42.5kg
  • 3rd minute: 12 pistol squat
  • 12 kettlebell swing, 32kg

I don't do much jogging for recovery, I have other methods for that. Foam rolling, mobilizing and proper warm-up. But lower intensity workouts might have their place in the scene of crossfit too. Building up the motor. These long emom workouts are one way to do that. These are not supposed to be 100% effort for the entire 30-40 minutes.


Today's elements were designed so that it gave me a good 30 seconds to recover after the reps were completed. Thus my heart beat stayed in control for the entire time. Some of these elements are definitely not my favorite ones. That means I'm not "at home" with them.


Rowing always sucks, that's why it is such a good and efficient element =) Ohs has given me some issues mobility-wise but it's getting better. And pistol squats with my right leg are challenging, right ones are comfortable. Swing is something I feel good at.


It would have been okay to row for a longer distance but I wanted it to fit in the one minute time range as all other movements too so it had to be around 150m. Pace on the rower was about at 1:40, and on the first round I just rowed for 30 seconds and checked how far I'll get. Then on the following rounds I kept the same pace / distance.


Overhead squats. That is something I want to get better at and the reason I've been doing them and related movements much more lately. They're gonna be part of weekly training routine. Either ohs, snatch, snatch balance or something alike. Something where I end up having barbell overhead and squatting as low as my hips and shoulders allow. Today's load was light on purpose because I didn't want to burn myself in this workout. Focus was on getting low.


Pistols are great. My left ankle is much more mobile than the right one. That might be due to years of playing floorball as a goalie. I used to sit over my left shin / ankle when taking the shots so the mobility is a bit biased in my ankles. Right one is much tighter. That can be clearly felt when doing one legged squats.



Left leg pistols feel great and I feel strong and flexible on those. The right one though, that's a misery. It's stiff, more difficult to bounce back from the bottom position. It also feels it's the weaker leg in general.



Kettlebell swings are just great. I love this 2-pood little guy. Kettlebell swings are awesome for the entire posterior chain development. That's also a movement I feel very comfortable with. It's been some time since swinging the last time so today I dragged this fella at the gym and let it move around. 12 reps per minute.


Good session for the purpose I was after. Not too worn out. My legs took some hit on the ohs / pistol squat combo. It burned them somewhat but not too much anyway. Rowing was the easiest part of this for sure, basically like a recovery. Kb swings were okay but the two other movements were good burners on my quads and hamstrings.

Recap of emom




No comments:

Post a Comment