Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thursday 5.2: Pull-ups, Pistols, Box

Thursday. Metcon, 20min amrap of: 20 pull-ups, 20 pistols, 20 box. Result, 326 reps.

My right wrist is too sore to hit overhead strength that stood in my calendar for today's strength portion. Yesterday was squat / deadlift day so it was only natural to hit a bodyweight metcon with pull-ups and stuff. It turned out to be a real one.



Metcon. Result, 326 reps (5 rounds + 6 pistol squats)
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 20 pull-ups
  • 20 pistol squats, alternating legs
  • 20 box jumps, 61cm
Had to bust my ass off to get those 20 minutes being effective. I knew this would suck big time, and the reality was nothing less. Those sets every round were big and that made it much more grueling. Had it been 10 reps of each movement, the nature of the workout would have been totally different. This was supposed to be hard and to get the stimulus of muscles burning.

My first instinct was to hit the pull-ups in big sets, unbroken if possible, for as long as possible. Then on the other hand, I wanted to preferably be moving and not be worn out on them. So first round was unbroken, then I cut it to pieces to make sure those wouldn't kill me. Second round was probably 11-9, and from third round on it was 11-5-4. That continued for the next 3 rounds and the 6th round was 9-5-3-3 reps.




Pistol squats were the most challenging part of this one. My left leg is remarkably stronger than the right one. It doesn't show normally but pistols point out weaknesses. Mobility and strength are biased on my legs. Left leg pistols brought now issues but right ones turned rough at some point. And this was also the reason why my round times got slower every round. Very demanding movement, especially when there are tens of them, or actually 100 reps.



Box jumps are no biggie for me. That's something I feel comfortable with. I came up with the combination of pull-ups and pistols, and Pauliina was the creator of the third element. Kinda brutal to do box jumps right after pistols. I did them unbroken anyway.

This was pretty much what it looked like on paper. I was able to imagine this one already before the 3-2-1-Go. Tomorrow I have a day off, let's see what I come up with =)




No comments:

Post a Comment