Thursday, February 12, 2015

Thursday 12.2: Deadlift, Two metcons, Burpees

Thursday. Strength, deadlift 10-10-10-8-6 (max 165kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 10 pull-ups, 10 db thrusters. Metcon, 5min amrap of: 6 burpee box jump, 9 t2b. Result, 79 reps. Cashout, 30 burpees.

I hooked up with a friend at the gym, we agreed to hit it same time and throw down on same workouts too. It was a pleasure to share the agony of this session. It was a great day of training! I'll take couple of pulling sessions in the near future just to get back in the rhythm of deadlifting. Jasper came up with the idea for the first metcon and I needed to get some more work being done so the second metcon came up on the spot. Some burpees to finish the session.



Strength.
  • Deadlift 10-10-10-8-6 (100, 125, 135, 145, 165kg)
This was based on the percentages of 1RM, which is currently at 210kg. Haven't tried heavy heavy pulls in ages but that is the last one rep max that I tested. Some time ago I did clean grip deadlift for a heavy single at 200kg. Anyway, these were about 50, 60, 65, 70, and 80% of max load.

I've pulled twice after a loooong break. After the first time my back was sore for a week but after the second one it was like nothing. Hoping my recovery on deadlifts will get back to where it was and it doesn't cripple me for days =)

First set was obviously easy, so was the second. Didn't have any chalk on my hands so 125kg started to get slippery. I took an adjustment with chalk and got a way better grip on the remaining sets. It was 8 reps at 145kg and I thought it would be heavier. In the end it went pretty well. My focus today - and what I asked Jazz to coach me too - was in lowering my butt on the way down in order to engage more hamstrings in the pull. It went better but more work needs to be done. Last set was @ 165kg for 6 reps.




Metcon.
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 dumbbell thrusters, 2x15kg db's
Jasper used to do this kind of stuff in Crossfit Copenhagen in Denmark back in the days when he lived there so he pitched me with the idea of hitting this combo. It reminded me of Fran so this didn't bring that many positive thoughts =) Didn't put all in from the beginning because I knew this would make me cry in the end. It was a great heavy breather anyway! Went unbroken on both elements, then just took a pause between the stations to settle my breathing a bit.




Metcon. Result, 79 reps (5 rounds+ 4 burpee box jump)
  • 5min amrap of:
  • 6 burpee box jump
  • 9 toes-to-bar
Somehow I was left with a feeling that something needs to be done still. At first it was box jumps and t2b's but then again, burpee box jump is an awesome movement and brings another level to box jumps. I went unbroken on the box jumps, and dropped from the pull-up bar couple of times in rounds 4 and 5. This started to burn my hip flexors and core. Breathing was heavy constantly. These were quite consistent on round times through all the 5+ rounds.




Cashout.
  • 30 burpees
I was done after those metcons but my training buddy was about to hit 30 more burpees just for fun. Didn't want him to enjoy those on his own so I joined him on this one. We did these simultaneously and got 'em done efficiently and quickly. Didn't time this one but it was a very short and intense work. Good session!



No comments:

Post a Comment