Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday 20.2: Squats, Deadlift, Bodyweight

Friday. Back squat emom, 2 reps per min, for 10min (120-130kg). Deadlift 10-10-10-8-6 (max 167.5kg). Metcon, 5 rnft: 10 hspu, 12 pull-ups, 25 du's.

This was something I've been waiting this week. Another day of pulling from the floor. My plan is to pull once a week and do some pre-planned progression on the weights. Started with back squats anyway, classic stuff. Ended the session with some bodyweight movements, working on skills.



Squats.
  • Every minute on the minute, for 10min
  • 2 reps back squat
  • 1-2min: 120kg
  • 3-4min: 122.5kg
  • 5-6min: 125kg
  • 7-8min: 127.5kg
  • 9-10min: 130kg
My plan was to hit squat doubles but this machine was slow to get going so I decided to put the clock running and do the doubles in emom style. That worked really well. Last time when I did emom doubles it was 2-3 weeks ago in Liikuntamylly on my day off of work. That time it was 120kg for all 10 minutes. Today's focus was obviously to go higher but I had no idea how my legs would react so I began with the same load, took 2 sets of 2 reps, then added 2.5kg on the bar. Repeated this same ideology by adding 2.5kg every two minutes so the last two minutes were doubles at 130kg.

This was a great way to get my body pumped up. As the clock is telling you to work, you do the work. No hesitation, get the bar on your back and move. The jumps were small so body was all the time awake and ready. Last sets were heavy, as they were supposed to be.




Pulling.
  • Deadlift 10-10-10-8-6 (105, 125, 147.5, 157.5, 167.5kg)
This is progression with last week's deadlifts. These were 50-60-70-75-80% efforts so in total it was a bit heavier than last week. My focus today was in a small simple thing. Keeping my head neutral. I tend to create a tilt in my head as I have tried to watch directly ahead. When I'm standing tall it's okay but when the barbell goes back down, my neck is not in ideal position and that was what I tried to correct today.

That worked well, and a big side effect was created simultaneously. I was able to squat more than before, and thus utilize my hamstrings more. I felt the difference! This was huge thing for me as my problem has been to pull with straighter legs than I'm supposed to. Huge thing. Weights were okay, touch'n'go.


8x157.5kg


Metcon. Not for time
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 12 pull-ups
  • 25 double unders
Another big thing is that even though my right wrist is a bit sore on a daily basis, it's getting better every day. And by warming it up it tolerates a lot of things and it feels like those times always help. For example when I did squat cleans, it was better the next day. Today I got 50 hspu's done and every rep felt great!

I combined handstand push-ups with pull-ups and double unders. Pull-ups unbroken, and du's felt like there was a good form each set. It kind of bummed me there was some trip on the du's but I let that go and finished it well anyway. Today's main focus was on lower body strength but those hspu's were good news too. Gotta get some squat cleans too and try how my wrist holds up. Yesterday it was good.



1 comment: