Friday, April 11, 2014

Friday 11.4: Overhead party, metcon

Friday. Overhead party by strongmanwod.com, max 90kg. Metcon, 5rds of: 5 power clean (60kg), 10 push-ups, 10 t2b. About 6min

My shoulders and lats are sore from that high-rep pull-up workout. I think my shoulders have taken hit the last couple days. Still, it was time to do some overhead presses, inspired by Rob Orlando's site strongmanwod.com. This turned out to be very tough towards the end. I was pretty much done after this one but decided to get my breathing go heavier through a short metcon.

My second home

Overhead party.
  • Start a clock, complete 2 reps every minute
  • Start at 40kg, add 2.5kg every minute
  • Start with 2 shoulder press
  • When you cannot complete shoulder press, move on to 2 push press
  • When you cannot complete push press, move on to 2 split jerk
  • Result, shoulder press @ 67.5kg, push press @ 80kg, split jerk @ 90kg

Very deceptive. Looked easier than it turned out to be. The first rounds were so easy that I didn't know how it would end up. Something like 40-50kg shoulder presses are warm-up weights. I had great desire to do more reps per minute and I actually did in the beginning to get my shoulders activated properly. I also kept the bar overhead for couple of seconds after the reps. Another thing I practiced was dropping the weight on my back, up to 55-60kg. Then I dropped it to front rack every time. Dropping the bar on my back is very useful. That would be awesome if I had the courage to drop it so I could practice multiple consecutive jerks behind the neck.

I was able to complete shoulder press all the way up to 2x67.5kg on the minute. My 1RM is 75kg so I consider this double a good performance considering there was only a short recovery period every minute. I loaded the bar with 70kg and started push pressing the barbell overhead. Those shoulder presses burned my shoulders so that it turned heavy early on with the push presses. Last set of push press was @ 80kg.

There was still something left in my shoulders so I kept adding 2.5kg on the bar. Last set was at 90kg, and I'm telling you it wasn't easy =) I knew it would be my final set so I loaded myself up well and tried to get that double up no matter what. And I got it, that was great.



Metcon. Result about 6min
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 5 power cleans, 60kg
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 toes-to-bar
It took me couple of minutes to get the shoulder burn settle down. It's been a while since 60kg power clean has felt this heavy. It should be like air but it sure wasn't. This was a short metcon, and the pull-up bar is located 10m away from where I did my cleans and push-ups. I walked between the stations so that definitely took some time.

My round times were almost equal to each other. I had no problems in completing the movements unbroken. This was an easy-pace workout but still got my heart beating faster. Quite nice.



2 comments:

  1. Nyt viimeset kolme päivää sulla on ollut sellasia settejä joita tekis mieli kaikkia kokeilla. Soutu intervallit kuulosti kauheelta, pystypunnerruksen variaatiot ihan tuskalta ja tää soutu, juoksu yms. Vielä siihen päälle - ihan loistavia settejä.

    Kokeilen ehdottomasti kunhan vaan on tilaisuus! Kovia noi sun ajat kyllä on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha joo tiukkoja reenejä ne oli, kyllä sen tunsi reenin jälkeen että hommia on tullut painettua. Ja kiitos nostosta, arvostan. Kerro sit miten meni kun oot tehnyt!

    ReplyDelete