Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday 2.4: Cleans and gymnastics

Wednesday. Cleans (max 90kg). Gymnastics (rings, t2b, planche holds)

My body felt great during the day and I was ready to go. On the other hand I had zero seconds to think about the workout at hand, what to work on. On the last minute I decided to see how cleans would feel like and then do some bodyweight stuff, skipping metcon for today.


Barbell.
  • Squat cleans 5-5-5-5 (60, 70, 80, 90kg)
After warm-up I started to move the barbell. For some reason it felt heavier than normally from the very beginning, even though I felt good entering the gym. I took some fives and called it quits. I completed the reps by feeling, didn't have a certain rep scheme in my mind. Just went by flow and took some reps to get some good reps done.

It wasn't the best barbell day so I deloaded the barbell after 90kg and decided to concentrate on bodyweight stuff, developing body control.

Haven't done hook grip at all, ever. It's been tickling on my mind to try but haven't made any moves


Gymnastics.
  • Ring muscle-ups
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 15 toes-to-bar
  • Planche holds on a bench between t2b sets, then:
  • Pull-ups on rings
  • Stall bars holds
  • Stall bars mobility moves

I actually took ring muscle-ups after warm-up, before cleans. Both false grip and without false grip. Then a short 4-rounder, not for time. 15 unbroken t2b's and planche holds on a bench. My focus there was to enhance my body core control and shoulder strength. Aiming to find a strict torso all the way from toes to shoulders, having only my hands to touch the bench. I feel like I've improved on this type of movements a lot. Let's say one year ago I tried these at times but haven't done 'em in a long time. Still, I'm doing clearly better nowadays. Through crossfit I've learned to control my own bodyweight better, there's no doubt about it. Plus, these moves are very cool, I get a lot of enjoyment practicing them.

CF Games Update Show

It was a tough core work as I did those t2b's between planche holds. After having done 4 rounds of this combo I took some strict pull-ups on rings and then also worked on stall bars that we have at the gym. I'd like to see myself doing a "flag pole" move someday at either stall bars or then on a real flag pole outdoors. That's a bad ass movement and demands a lot strength-wise and definitely a kick-ass body control. In the end I remembered mobility tips from Dave Durante where he stretches on the stall bars. I wrote about it some weeks ago if I remember correctly. It was a good call to leave the bar alone and concentrate in bodyweight stuff

This is what I'm talking about, how sick body control is this?



No comments:

Post a Comment