Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thursday 17.4: Squats, Hspu, Burpees

Thursday. Strength, back squats 7x3 (around 130kg). Pair wod, 5 rds of: 200m row / max effort hspu's, 10 burpees, 20 air squats. Time 11.14

I believe it was Sunday when I squatted the last time, and it was a metcon type of action. That really hurt my legs for couple of days. Today I really needed to have the bar on my back and do those squats, I was missing them =) Juuso and Pauliina were also at the gym, we hit a pair wod with J in the end.

Quite even round times?

Strength.
  • Back squats 3-3-3-3-3-3-3 (125, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130kg)

Didn't think about this for too long. All I needed to have was heavy squats. While I completed my warm-up squat sets with 60, 80, and 105kg, I decided to hit triples at around 130kg. Jumped 125kg from 105kg and did the first set there. I was able to pump it up and down without any pauses on top. Added 5 more kilos and completed the rest of the sets with this weight, total of 7 triples.

First sets went "touch'n'go" style, then probably 4th and 5th set were clearly tougher and I needed to stop on top and reset to hold the breath inside before going back down. The 6th set was the most challenging. It felt like my legs would bail me out after first rep. Somehow it felt like all the strength just vanished from my lower body. Managed to get the reps up though, Juuso spotting the last 2 reps just in case. He also spotted the last set, which turned out to be easier than the 6th one. Those triples were very good ones today with 130kg. I had to do lots of work. It wasn't easy to get the reps in the books, and I had to squeeze the get them done. Legs were doing exactly the work hey needed to.

Masters competition update



Metcon. Pair wod, time 11.14
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 200m row / max effort handstand push-ups
  • 10 burpees
  • 20 air squats

We decided to hit a pair workout with Juuso in the end to get some heavy breathing. We both did burpees and air squats but on the first movement we separated. He wanted to row but my hands are still ripped because of Tuesday's pull-ups so I didn't want any movement where I would need to hold on to any kind of barbell. No pulling, no pushing on barbell. Handstand push-ups seemed like a good idea. So he rowed, I did hspu's, then we both completed burpees and squats at the same time. This was a pair workout so you weren't able to move to the next movement before both had done the reps.

What I didn't realize was that the combination of handstand push-ups and burpees was tough. It burned my shoulders pretty roughly. Squats weren't that bad. Well, in metcon everything starts to get under the skin at some point but hspu's were definitely more challenging. Burpees and squats went unbroken. On hspu's I got 10 on first and second round, then 8 and finally 6 good reps on last 2 rounds. Jumping right on to burpees wasn't cool right after these. Shoulders were smashed! Round times on this workout were very solid, last 4 rounds were within 3 seconds.


In the evening Pauliina decided it was time to get a new carpet at our balcony so we jumped on our car and drove to Ikea for some Thursday evening shopping =) No surprise something else was found on the shopping cart too at the cashier…



No comments:

Post a Comment