Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday 12.4: Hero workout Small

Saturday. Hero workout Small. Time 45.24.

I was open-minded for Saturday's workout. My upper body was a bit smashed so I decided to leave barbells alone this time. One pal of mine - Joni - threw a message yesterday that he's gonna hit a hero workout called Small at this affiliate and asked me to join him. Unfortunately I wasn't able to join him but that workout he described sounded something I could work on. We went to the home gym with Pauliina in the afternoon.



Small. Time 45.24
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1.000m row
  • 50 burpees
  • 50 box, 61cm
  • 800m run

It turned out Joni himself didn't even do this workout today so I challenge you mister to hit it in the following days! Beforehand we were thinking about the length of this workout with Pauliina and ended up somewhere around 45 minutes. Well, the truth was exactly that, 24sec over. Pauliina seems to have extremely good perception of how long I work on these metcons =)


This workout was cruel as all four movements' nature is that you can keep moving if you have the mental capacity. It's not like you would have to squat clean 90kg all the time. It's simple bodyweight stuff, just keep the engine rolling. This is exactly a workout where the inner machine is built.


I can't say which movement was the easiest or toughest. Maybe rowing wasn't that bad as I thought it would be. Then on the other hand, running felt more consuming that I had thought about. It's no wonder burpees and box jumps were awful throughout the workout. It's very rare I do 50 consecutive of either of the movements. And here there were 3 sets of each… Seriously, it's just Filthy Fifty where 50 burpees / box takes place. Other than that, I don't know if I've ever done that many reps in a row.


On the rowing I kept the pace slower intentionally. Thought that 5-10 second faster pace wouldn't bring any victory home but taking it a bit slower would save energy for the huge amount of burpees and box jumps ahead of me. That turned out a good strategy for me. My 1k times were 1.42, 1.49 and 1.52 so it was around 1.50-1.55 / 500m pace.


Recent days training had its effect on my shoulders. They have felt a bit tired. Or maybe not tired but the training has had its effect. Yesterday's "overhead party" was a nice one to build strength on upper body. Anyway, doing high-rep burpees was tough today on my shoulders. Still, I'm very happy on how well I was able to keep myself moving up and down.


Already the first set of burpees was a nasty one but I kept thinking about happy thoughts, simultaneously cursing Joni for planting the idea of doing Small in my head =) On the first set I did 20 reps, then took a short break and continued with 10's till the end. I realized in the beginning that this is gonna be a long one so rushing things in the beginning would bring nothing good to the table.


So I took my time with the movements, trying to do them as efficiently as possible and with a steady pace. Tried to keep the rest periods as short as possible, still catching some breath every now and then. The second set of burpees was 15+10+10+8+7. The last round was most likely 5x10 reps.


Box jumps are something I've practiced lately a lot. I believe it was around 650 reps in March and there were quite a bunch in February too. I believe I've developed a lot in my technique and can keep on rocking them better than before. My legs don't fatigue that soon anymore and I can nail more reps in a row than before.


On the first round I did 20 reps, then probably 10's till the end. The breaks were just quick one to shake legs and release tension. Second round was something like 15's and 10's, and the last round was all 10's. At that time my legs were pretty smashed. Other than that I feel like my technique stayed solid. I just needed the occasional breaks because the legs were crying for a break.


Last movement was running. Our gym is located in a basement without access outdoors so it's one big part why I don't have that much running in my programming. It's a pity because it makes metcons very nasty. Usually I try to stay away from treadmills 'cause it's kinda boring stuff but this workout required it. So I hopped on and started moving. It's difficult to determine the speed, I haven't used any equipment when running so I don't know the pace I should be setting there. I kept it at 12km/h and then on the final round it was 13km/h. No idea how fast or slow that is in real life. I'd rather do the running in nature or at track.


Small was Big indeed! Lots of cardio stuff and the number of reps on those bodyweight moves were great. Total of 3km rowing, 2.4km running and 150 burpees and box jumps. That's a lot of working out. It's very rare to hit a workout this long. I anticipated this beforehand and took an extra water bottle that I filled with salted water. My metabolism is huge and I needed to refill my body with Himalayan rock salt.

Recap of Small


This workout was great challenge and it was awesome to being able to rock it through without greater problems. It was very tough, lot of breathing took place and lots of action was going on at four different stations but I managed it. Proud of that.


In the late afternoon we went to see my bro's family and their new house. No surprise there were Rogue wooden rings hanging right outside the front door. And probably not a surprise either that I had to test them with a muscle-up =)




No comments:

Post a Comment