Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday 7.4: Rowing intervals

Monday. Rowing intervals for 10k.

A day dedicated to build the engine purely by rowing. Let the barbells alone plus other bodyweight stuff. Temptation was great to touch the bar but I stayed strong and focused on pulling the concept II for long distances.


Intervals.
  • Rowing sets of:
  • Start with 100m, then 200m, then 300m on up to 1.000m and then back down
  • 60sec rest between sets
Yep, total of 10k rowing. Accidentally rowed a little too much somewhere in the middle of the workout so it turned out to be 10.200m. Miscalculated some interval but it didn't mind, I wanted to go all in on the last hundreds of meters anyway.

I got the inspiration for the workout by looking for rowing interval training in the internet and found myself checking some tips at Concept2's internet site. Add 100m after every interval until you reach 1.000m, then drop 100m after each set. So it was supposed to be exactly 10k. Rest period was exactly 1min in between. It took me about 55min to finish the workout.

Pace varied depending on what distance I was rowing. It's no wonder that the toughest sets were the ones climbing up and doing 800-1000m sets. My pace was something like 1.40 or even sub 1.40 in the first 3 sets. Then it started to fade around 1.45/500m. It was rather easy up to 500m, got tougher though all the time. I was trying to keep up a good speed at all rounds. After set of 600m the total distance was 2.100m.



I'm telling you it started to feel a bit desperate to pulling that thing as it was only at 2.800m for total distance after 700m. There was supposed to be 7.2km still ahead of me and I felt my legs are fading. It was close that I turned the "boat" around and stop climbing to 800m, then go back down. I'm extremely happy I stroke through those bad feelings and kept going up to 1.000m. The 800 + 900 + 1.000m sets were awful and my pace dropped to 1.55, maybe 1.58 at times.

Coming down from the longest set was mentally way easier. The second 900m set was something I don't remember anything from. But then, it suddenly got easier. A lot easier. I got to a state of mind where I was able to ignore the pain in my legs. Breathing was heavy of course but it didn't bother me at any point during the workout. It was more of how much it hurt in my lower body. Yesterday's squats and lunges made my quads and butt cheeks sore already in the morning.

Total time

From 800m and down it was like a Sunday stroll in a sunny boulevard with my babe. It felt good and I was able to pick up speed on each set. At 600m it felt like warm-up and my legs were feeling sharp again. Pace was consistently dropping back closer to 1.45, and on the next set it was already closer to 1.40. Last sets I was able to pull at around 1.30.

The workout was great. Lots of sitting in the rowing, lots of work had to be done to finish the workout. It was 55min in total, 37min of effective work time. The longest distance I've ever rowed is around 6k so this was "next level" stuff. I'm glad I was able to go through the mental wall that almost buried me on the ladder up. It probably hit because it was clearly longer distance I've used to. It felt like an eternity  of rowing.

Greg Everett's commentary



3 comments:

  1. Mielenkiintoinen video, kiitos! Huomasin vaan, että kaikki kyykkäävät siellä tosi alas. Itselläni on melkoinen ongelma, että kun menen sen 90 asteen alle, niin lysähdän ns. lattialle, enkä pääse siitä enää ylös. Valmentaja käski kyykkäämään vaan siihen 90 asteeseen tai vähän yli, mutta sitä ongelmaa se ei ole poistanut (että putoa sinne tosi helposti, enkä pääse enää ylös). Mietin vaan, että ehkä pitäisikin alkaa treenaamaan oikeasti syviä kyykkyjä ja ehkä ongelma poistuisikin sitä kautta.

    Mitä mieltä itse olet videosta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moikka Maikki, joo mä suosittelen että aina vähintään ysikybän kulmaan, se on ehdoton minimi. Se parantaa jo liikkuvuuttakin ja luonnollisesti voimaa mitä alemmas pääsee. Ootko sä kokeillut pause kyykkyjä? Meinaa sitä, että meet rauhassa sinne aivan pohjalle, niin syvään kuin pääset, istut siellä "rennosti" jokusen sekunnin ja sitten lähdet ylös niin räjähtävästi kuin siitä tilasta pääsee. Noissa pause kykissä tulee varmasti olemaan pienemmät kilot, mutta se tuo luonnollisuutta tuohon ysikympin alle menevään kyykkyyn. Jotenkin kuulostaa siltä, että olisi fiksuu kokeilla?

    Tässä on näkemättä muuten vaikee antaa enempää tipsejä, varmaan sun koutsilla on hyvää silmää auttaa siinä asennossa. Rinta pitäis olla mahdollisimman pystyssä, keskivartalo jännitettynä ja suorana, polvet sopivasti ulkona ja peba snadisti taakse työnnettynä. Tommosella setillä mä lähtisin työstämään. Toivottavasti tästä oli jotain apua =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jos haluut jotain videoo pause kykästä niin suosittelen menemään Instagramiin ja nappaamaan "Olychad" eli Chad Vaughnin seurattaviin tyyppeihin. Tekee aika paljon pausella. Samoin sen frendi "mikecerbus". Huikeita tyyppejä ja hyvii vinkkejä reeneihin. Tekevät back squattii, front squattii ja overhead squattii pysäytyksellä

    ReplyDelete