Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tuesday 8.4: Cleans, Hspu, Pull-ups, Du

Tuesday. Strength, clean emom, 1 rep every 20sec @ 90kg, for 7min. Metcon, 20min amrap of: 6 hspu, 12 pull-ups, 30 du. Result, 464 reps (9rds + 14 du).

Had some doubts about how this training day would turn out. I woke up in the middle of the night and had some sort of spasm in my back, on the right side. It was a bit difficult to get back to sleep after that. It bothered me for the entire day, more or less. Only after I hit the gym and started foam rolling I heard a snap in my back (in a good way) and something was released. It was over and I was ready to start working out! Cleans and metcon, that was the plan.


Strength.
  • Hang clean 5x60, 5x70
  • Clean 3x80, 1x90, 1x100, 1x105kg, then:
  • Every 20 seconds: 1 rep @ 90kg, for 7min (total of 21 reps)

I didn't have an exact plan because I wasn't sure how my back would react. So I created the workout while I was doing it. Pretty soon I understood some sort of "emom" training might be a good one. Took  some heavier cleans just for the fun of it. I want to keep my body familiar with the heavy weights even though I wouldn't do heavy training per se.

In my own opinion I'm quite consistent player. My max lifts do not vary that much depending on the day. I can lift my 1 rep max pretty much every time I try it. It's another thing can I go beyond that but the difference between a good day and a bad day isn't that big. That is something I remember from the days back when I was playing floorball as a goalkeeper: consistency. This is something I drive to obtain also during metcons, having a steady pace all the way and to keep the engine going every day in a similar way.


Today I climbed up to 105kg before dropping down to 90kg. First sets were from pocket, then at 80kg and up I pulled from ground. The last big lift wasn't that bad at all. I'm sure I would have hit 110kg. You can see the 100kg lift below. First I thought about aiming for 20 reps for time @ 90kg. Then another option hit me. Complete 1 rep every 20 seconds. This was fun! Not much time to recover, me likey.

Didn't have problems with the lifts. It was the breathing that got heavier and the last 2 minutes it got heavier on legs. Pulling strength was there all the way. I'm very happy about the cleans, both strength and speed / courage under the bar. It's a long way that's been traveled to be here. I realize my elbows do bend too early. Would I keep them straight for a longer time and have enough patience, the results might be greater.

Clean, 100kg

Metcon. Result 464 reps (9 rounds + 14 double unders)
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 6 handstand push-ups
  • 12 pull-ups
  • 30 double unders

After recovering for couple of minutes it was time to go for a metcon. This time for a long one, 20min amrap. Those are usually tough ones. This was exactly that. My shoulders were hammered. Reached almost 10 rounds, just 16 double unders short of 10rds sharp.

Both handstand push-ups and pull-ups got challenging after couple of rounds. The combination is bad ass. I remember the feeling from benchmark workout Mary that I've done couple of times, or at least some sort of variation of Mary (20min amrap of: 5hspu, 10pistols, 15pull-ups). I was able to nail them unbroken each round even though it was tough.


Hspu's burned my shoulders, and then it was pull-ups waiting right after them. Double unders also stress shoulders so it was a nasty combo as I think about it afterwards. On the double unders I believe there was about 3 misses during those rounds. Other than that they rolled very well and with a nice form, a good smooth pace all the way.

It was the breaks between sets that took some time. First 3 rounds were quicker, then it stabilized at around 2.15-2.20 pace for the next rounds before the sprint in the end. It's usually possible to speed up as you realize it's only round or two to go anymore so there's not that much need for a break anymore.

This was a great training day. Especially as I thought beforehand it might go down the drainage. Good set of semi-heavy cleans and then a 20min amrap of three basic movements that always need to be focused on.




No comments:

Post a Comment