Sunday, November 16, 2014

Saturday 15.11: Row, Box, Burpees with weight vest

Saturday. Metcon, 20min amrap of: 500m row, 10 box, 10 burpee. Wear a weighted vest (9kg) throughout the workout. Result, 5rds + 200m row.

Quality time with my fiancé. We didn't have any planned action to go for this weekend so we utilized the opportunity to sleep late, eat a humongous breakfast of healthy smoothie and californian style omelette with spinach, turkey and avocados. Then we headed to "Jumbo" mall for some shopping, and Pauliina ended up finding the wedding ring of her dreams, great! In the evening we drove to the gym for another throwdown.



Metcon. Result, 5 rounds + 200m row

  • 20 min amrap of:
  • 500m row
  • 10 box
  • 10 burpee
  • Wear weighted vest (9kg) throughout the workout

Yesterday we had a great pair workout with Toni and it really feels in my body. Don't know it it was the push press or ring push-ups or the combination of them and high rep pull-ups but my shoulders and triceps are killing me. It feels great! I've been longing to have a barbell up overhead and yesterday I finally got to do it. I'm resting from squats so I really had no plans for today. At some point I thought about throwing wall ball outdoors but then we headed to the gym anyway.


I decided to get my weight vest with me after a long break of training with it. Smooth move, I liked it a lot. Brutal stuff, it makes training more harsh. I've got it from Pauliina about 2 years ago, love her! This was the first time it was on me while rowing or jumping on a box. Burpees are familiar with this equipment on.


What I had in mind was a longer metcon. I basically wanted to breath heavy and keep moving for a while, building engine. Rowing was somehow a little different with a vest. Breathing was more burdensome than normally. It was like my lungs weighed more. Or something, hard to describe.


Anyway, I got the machine moving pretty well after all. It was about 1:45 pace for 500m in most of the sets. Towards the end it was closer to 1:50 but it never went over that. This was by far the most challenging part of the workout. There was a total of 2.7km of rowing.


Box jumps were completed on the same height as regular jumps. With a vest on I decided to step down after each rep to prevent too hard impact on lower body. I kept moving on constantly which means to say I didn't rest or recover at any point, but jumped right up after stepping down.


Burpees are always a pleasure. No matter whether you have a vest or not. I wanted to have those because I know they make me breath heavily and get the adrenaline up. Luckily though, there were just 10 reps of them. The vest started to unravel on burpees as it was swinging back and forth as I dropped down chest to floor.


This combo of movements was exactly what I was looking for. After finishing the last 200m on the rower, I was definitely done and over this one! Good heavy breather as was the objective of this one.


I'm having high hopes of being able to push the barbell overhead somehow. Let's see how that turns out tomorrow.

Recap





1 comment: