Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wednesday 19.11: Snatch Balance, Pull-ups, Ohs, Run

Wednesday. Barbell, snatch balance (max 60kg). Metcon, 3rds of: 15 pull-ups, 10 ohs (40kg), 400m run. Time, about 10.20

Evening at work and morning at gym. That was the game plan for today. I felt the urge to get my hands on snatch balance. That was spectacular. I had no rush at all, just kept working on my technique on snatch balance. My metcon was supposed to be something else but it felt like a great idea to do overhead squats as a continuance to snatch balance.



Barbell.
  • Snatch balance, sets of 1-3 reps at 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60
I really think this might be the key to success on snatch. Coach Burgener seems to think that way too. I got to step up my game with the snatch. 10-year old kids lift more on snatch than I do. I'll add snatch balance to my warm-ups to some extent and olympic lifts must be a regular thing in my programming. I've neglected snatches in all forms for way too long. My mobility has neither been on a level where I could do squat snatches so that has had its effect. Now that shouldn't be that big of a prob anymore. It has to get better still but it's already taken huge steps forward.

This time I took couple of snatch grip presses / jerks, then mostly triples of snatch balance. Focusing on trying to find the correct path down in the hole. Plus I focused on getting below parallel. It was good job when I held the bar back enough. At times I was probably too nervous and pushed the barbell in front a little which created problems in stabilizing the bar overhead in the squat position.

All in all, I'm very satisfied to this practice. I've never probably gotten an accepted rep on snatch balance. And the heaviest no-repped attempt has been at 50kg. Why they have not been okay reps is the depth on squat. This time that was good in majority of the reps, some definitely stayed above parallel though.

Recap


Metcon. Time, about 10.20
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 15 pull-up
  • 10 overhead squat, 40kg
  • 400m run
This was fun in its own way. There's been tons of pull-ups lately. Actually there's been about 400-500 this month and about the same amount on the last weeks of October. Okay, I promised myself I'll put them back to where they belong but it's also because there have been restrictions on things I've been able to perform.



Anyway, I love pushing through those pull-ups on a regular basis. Plus it was cool to do overhead squats. Because there was running included I had my nano's on. Still, it felt natural to complete those ohs reps below parallel without having mobility issues. This means to say something positive has happened after squatting my ass off on the Smolov program. Hip mobility has improved a lot and some good things have happened on the shoulder / back section too.

I didn't rush with this workout. It was more like to just grind the reps in the books. Go unbroken on pull-ups and overhead squats. I didn't time this so precisely but on the video I count it was approximately 10.20. Good moving around in general. I liked this session!



No comments:

Post a Comment