Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thursday 13.11: Kb, Pistols, Du's and Row

Thursday. Metcon, 20min amrap of: 10 kb press (20kg), 14 pistols, 30 du's, 300m row. Result, 6rds + 3 pistols.

Squat is pretty much the only barbell work I can do currently and you can't squat everyday (or do you hmm…) so today was all about bodyweight. I took a longer metcon involving classic stuff and then skills too. Great decision! It worked very well for the purposes and goals I had.



Metcon. Result, 6 rounds + 3 pistol squats (337 reps + 1.800m row)

  • 20 min amrap of:
  • 10 (5/5) kettlebell press, 20kg
  • 14 (7/7) pistol squats
  • 30 double unders
  • 300m row

What I really wanted to do was handstand push-ups. I had been dreaming about it for days. My right hand is still too sore if I try to flex it to 90 degrees on the wrist. That makes it impossible to nail hspu's. On the bottom position it's okay but being inverted with straight arms is way too painful. It's not a healthy pain for sure. Let the time heal this one. I can train other stuff in the meanwhile. I'm just missing some real barbell work and hspu's.

It felt natural that kb presses would be out of question but I tried it anyway as a substitute for hspu's. Surprisingly there was no pain at all in this movement so it got part of the workout. 20kg bell is the heaviest there is at the gym. My 2-pood baby was at home. Those presses were the easiest part of this metcon.



Pistol squats are perfect element in a metcon, hands down. They get heart beat up, requires strength and skills at the same time. Can't perform them without either of them. And it also indicates if the body is biased in either left or right side. Obviously my left leg is much stronger than the right one. Had no issues with left leg whereas right was more challenging strength-wise. I still got them all done as planned. These require more accuracy when performed with Nano's instead of weightlifting shoes because of the heel elevation.

Double unders felt okay. My shins were a bit sensitive for some reason, maybe there's been box jumps or double's every day this week. I had 3 misses on the sets, one in every other set. Mostly in the last reps of those sets. I'd say those were more like minor concentration flaws.

Basic dinner, side salad

On the rower I went sub 1.45 on the first rounds and then sub 1.50 pace later in the workout. I tried to save my legs here and pull more fiercely with upper body. That's not ideal style in the long run but this combination of elements made my legs burn. Especially those pistols were cruel. I'd like to burn my shoulders more. That is somehow brutally satisfying feeling. Maybe I'll try some light push press tomorrow because those kb presses felt okay.

Keep the veggies involved. We had salmon for dinner in addition to these

By the way, have you been watching weightlifting's world championships this week. They're doing some crazy shit in Almaty, Kazakhstan. We also have couple of Finnish lifters there so it makes it even more interesting. There are some beautiful lifts being completed by Chinese athletes. I'm not that familiar with the lifters but I'm enjoying every second I see professionals do their thing. You can watch the games live from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment