Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sunday 16.11: Wall balls and Lunges

Sunday. Metcon, 50-40-30-20-10 of: wall ball (9kg), walking lunges. Time, 12.57.

I had planned to go for some overhead strength action at the gym in the early afternoon. However, the weather was perfect for outdoor training. Sun was shining, it was crispy as it should be at this time of the year and it was all dry outside. I wore some long sleeves and took my wall ball with me and then we headed to a nearby place where there are good surroundings for metcons.


Metcon. Time 12.57

  • 50-40-30-20-10 of:
  • Wall ball shots, 9kg
  • Walking lunges

I was open-minded for the workout. Only thing that was in my mind was wall ball. Yesterday it was weight vest time, and today wall balls. Had to turn to Pauliina and discuss what would be a good element in her opinion to accompany wall ball shots.


After throwing ideas for a while it formed to walking lunges and the rep scheme was brutal for me. Thanks Pauliina for this great workout! A total of 150 reps of wall balls and lunges in a descending ladder, coming down 10 reps after each set, starting at 50 reps.


Probably not a surprise to anyone that when you do Karen with this kind of a twist, legs are gonna take a big hit. We went there at noon and now at 6 in the evening I can still feel the burn in my thighs. Wall ball seems to be a perfect movement in all possible ways. Usually my shoulders bail on me earlier but today legs were screaming too. Normally my legs can take the burn well. The combination of these two made it more miserable for lower body too.


I got the wb's done on 32-18 in the first round. Second set was most likely 15-15-10. I'd suppose the round of 30's was 15-15. Set of 20 was done in two sets 10-10 and the last one unbroken. I felt the need to cut these sets because muscles were getting fatigued.


The parking lot was 14 steps wide when completed as walking lunges so I went back and forth for that distance. Basically it was about 2 times each way on the first round. Those turns were the times when I got to let my legs recover and get the tension off. Smaller sets (30-20-10) could be done in one back-and-forth set.


At least for me lunges make legs burn a lot. Usually in metcons there are quite a number of them at a time. Changing it directly to wall ball shots was not easy on legs. Had to shake them a little before grabbing the ball.


This was a great workout that could be completed outdoors. I enjoyed it tremendously, quality family time. I was able to workout and Pauliina likes to work with the camera =) Couldn't be better




No comments:

Post a Comment