Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sunday 31.1: Row, Farmer's walk, Sled, Sdhp

Sunday. Strongman Sunday, 3rds of: 500m row, 40m farmer's walk @ 113kg, 500m row, 40m sled pull @ 110kg (plus sled), 500m row, 15 sdhp @ 60kg. Time, 38.16.

Late evening session. I got inspired by two other crossfitters at the gym. They had a long pair workout which they had stolen from the legend himself - Mikko Salo. I went to explore Mikko's instagram for a good half an hour and tried to absorb every piece of wisdom he had revealed to fellow crossfitters. Then I brainstormed with myself and came up with this gem =)



Workout.

  • 3 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 40m farmer's walk @ 113kg
  • 500m row
  • 40m sled pull @ 110kg (+sled)
  • 500m row
  • 15 sumo deadlift high-pulls @ 60kg

This was exactly what I was looking for. The stimulus was right on point. Lots of rowing mixed up with strongman elements. Haven't done much farmer's walk or sled work lately. Sumo deadlift high-pulls have been in the program for a reason in the past two weeks because that's pretty much the only thing with barbell that doesn't bother my wrist.



Got to say this was something close to genius. Rowing pace was something between 1:50 - 1:58 so nothing serious but still I had to keep pulling to keep the boat moving. Lots of these elements burdened lower body so rowing was a good add-on to that.



Farmer's walk after a day of deadlifting was interesting. I was able to maintain an upright torso so that didn't stress lower back that much. I like this movement for some reason.




Sled pulls are close to a nightmare. Damn they burn quads big time. First leg of the 40 meters is okay but the comeback is awful. These are far away from comfort zone.



Last strength element was the sumo deadlift high-pulls. I've done them in the recent history couple of times. Before that it was probably something like once a year pace. Now I've done them with 50kg barbell. Today I jumped up to 60kg, and felt okay with that weight. The bar path is a little off from ideal as it escapes a little too far from my shins but at least the barbell moves pretty well up and down.


No comments:

Post a Comment