Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday 24.6: Bench, floor press, barbell metcon

Monday. For time: 5-4-3-2-1 clean, push press with increasing weight. Bench press 5x5, floor press 5x10.

I saw Rob Orlando posting his barbell metcon one day in Facebook. That video inspired me to try this one out. It was a strength type of workout against time. Then I took bench and floor press strength to follow. Some ancillary action in the end.

Pony FINALLY got his new plates delivered at his place


Metcon. Time 6.51 (failed on the last rep)

  • 5-4-3-2-1
  • Power clean
  • Push press
  • Weights: 60, 65, 72.5, 77.5, 82.5kg

So this was not clean & jerk but first a number of power cleans, then push presses. Time after 77.5kg: 5.23. Spent one and a half minute on the last rep and still failed to get full extension, f**k! I re-repped it after I stopped shooting the video 'cause that last rep made me angry. I wanted to take it up and I did! Prepped myself mentally for it so had no other option but to be successful.

It was a good workout, had to catch a breath between sets because the idea was to increase load after each set. I wanted to make the presses unbroken to avoid extra power cleans. I stuck to the plan all the way. It was a nice variation to go entirely for power cleans instead of squat cleans. The weights were so moderate clean-wise that I was able to do them without squatting.

However, the presses were tough as I moved on with heavier weights. The only no-rep was still the last one, 82.5kg. Should have nailed that one immediately. Luckily I got it after 2min rest so I was able to walk away with a smile.

Barbell metcon

Strength. Bench press 5-5-5-5-5 (80kg). Floor press 10-10-10-10-10 (60kg). I believe I'll try to squeeze bench training in occasionally. It definitely isn't the most important movement for me but I'll put it on my schedule maybe more often. At least that's the feeling right now. My strategy with the weights was to keep the kilos same throughout those 5x5 sets. I had predetermined it @80kg. That could have been a little heavier but I didn't have a spotter in the beginning so I played it safe. And I wanted to get it up all 5's, no exceptions. I felt strong with bench today and I believe my technique is better than it used to months ago, no surprise though.

Floor press, hmm. Guess I've done it once before. Not a bad movement. I was thinking about a 3min amrap as a metcon but once again, a spotter would have been valuable. Since I was alone, I decided to change it to 5x10 reps. I really got my triceps hurt in a good way. The first sets weren't that bad but in the last 2 rounds the last 2 repetitions were tough.

Cashout. For quality

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 curls
  • 20 air squats, then
  • 6min cooling down with crosstrainer, starting high intensity, deloading after each 2min.

Some extra work for arms, spiced with a little breathing exercise. Crosstrainer was used to get fluids moving in my body after something that could be called a meathead training session. Tomorrow it's time for another outdoors training session with Marko. And Pony has promised to make a comeback @ Don's Crossfit, hahaa, yeah!

Home-made protein bars manufactured @ home with Pauliina, tasty! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment